General discussion

(NT) recovery cd's not working with new HD

Four year old Presario upgraded 14 months ago with K7 Motherboard from PC Chips Athlon 2700 RAM=480 Win/ME. HD quit after 14 good months on new M'board so bought new Maxtor 120 and installed it. Put another old Maxtor 80 I had from a network box in as slave for later use. Maxtor formatting disc came with new HD and correctly identified both HD's, master and slave. Two cd Quickrestore arrived as ordered from Compaq since I had lost the original - Windows ME. First 3 times I ran Restore it gave "OS setup error" after only a few windows and gave no explanation. Then came error 108 - "partition doesn't end at end of cylinder". I hit a key and setup continued anyway. Finally got two bars showing installation progress that went to 100% and asked for second cd. Progress stopped and it said "contact vendor". Has anyone else had these problems? Each attempt yields a different result.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: (NT) recovery cd's not working with new HD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: (NT) recovery cd's not working with new HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Bad news.

Compaq and other restore CDs usually are coded to only with with their boards.

What other OS do you have?

Bob

- Collapse -
Bob's right

Just got off phone with Compaq support. Old MB has a "tatoo". Two disc set of win/me will install only on old MB that was junked 14 months ago. I have to find an oem copy of win/me to install. Two new discs will make nice coasters at about $12.00 apiece. If salesman on phone did not have thick accent I would have raised the issue about new MB but I felt fortunate just to get the order info across to him.

CNET Forums

Forum Info