TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

(NT) plasma tv - which one is the best...talk to me experts

by dealy13 / February 5, 2006 6:13 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) plasma tv - which one is the best...talk to me experts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) plasma tv - which one is the best...talk to me experts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MORE INFO NEEDED......budget and size most importantly....
by Riverledge / February 5, 2006 7:03 AM PST

I'M sure everyone out here would love to help, but we need more information. At least someplace to start. Let us know.

river.

Collapse -
panny or hitachi 42"
by dealy13 / February 5, 2006 8:38 AM PST

thanks for getting back to me...i have 3 grand + plus another 1500 for the extras...it's between the panny (the 400 model) and hitachi hds52
both 42''

Collapse -
If you can afford the PX500U great, but if not......
by Riverledge / February 5, 2006 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: panny or hitachi 42"

Otherwise check out the PANASONIC TH-42PX50U.
Regardless, I'd choose the Panny.

river.

Collapse -
yo da man riverman...
by dealy13 / February 5, 2006 8:52 AM PST

thanks for the 411,
but you know anything about the hitachi hds52?
talk to me riverman

Collapse -
i have 3000 dollars for a 42" plasma
by dealy13 / February 5, 2006 8:46 AM PST

another 1500 for accesories ...ie cables, new dvd player, sound system.
and is the monster box thingy a good thing for plasmas or was circuit city trying to take me...i'm between the panny 500u and the hitachi hds52...

i appreciate the help dog, that's fosnizzle my whizzle gizzle

talk to me

Collapse -
Your $1500
by RoadRunner6 / February 6, 2006 9:42 PM PST

Buy this Yamaha receiver for $450 from Etronics (check directly with Yamaha online for complete specs):

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=yamhtr5890&svbname=30

Buy this DVD Panasonic DVD player for $70 from Etronics:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=pandvds29s&store=&catid=4563

Buy this set of speakers with sub from SVS for $1000

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm

Sorry, I just went slightly over $1500 so you can substitute this receiver from Etronics for $325

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=yamhtr5860sl&store=&catid=4118

Now you have spent $1395 and still have $105 for speaker wire, cables and a surge protector.

Forget the expensive Monster stuff, they are screwing you to make some profit, that includes the extended warranties and all the horror stories they will tell you about everything under the sun that might go wrong with your equipment.

Buy any inexpensive surge protector ($40-$50) at Home Depot or Fred Meyer or Wall-Mart (be sure it has a high enough Joules rating). Buy your cable from Etronics or Buy.com and get low priced ones like the performance line from AR (accoustic research) the GE or RCA ones at Wal-Mart are fine (shouldn't have to pay any more than $25 for any 12 ft or less cable. Get your speaker wire from Home Depot. Buy regular white lamp zip cord in 14ga ,16ga or 18ga. Longer lenths need heavier ga.

Here is an alternative set of speakers for about $400 less. Energy Act 6, see Energy Take 5.2 with S8.3 for a couble bucks more and different look.

http://www.audioexcellence.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=energy%20speakers&Page=8

You're on your own Dude.

RR6 (Chuck)

Collapse -
above and beyond...
by dealy13 / February 7, 2006 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Your $1500

thanks so much for the tips...

you da man, man

Collapse -
Or
by HTHMAN / February 7, 2006 9:35 AM PST

You could just buy a good DVD player with that 1500 bucks

Collapse -
How about taking a GOOD look at......
by Riverledge / February 7, 2006 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: Or

The SONY Bravia (40'') Flat panel LCD. The Sony
''KDL-V40XBR1.'' Okey, it's not a plasma, but don't sell it short. If you do a serious comparison I think
it will surprise you!!!

river.

Collapse -
KNOCK IT OFF, HTHMAN!
by RoadRunner6 / February 7, 2006 4:10 PM PST
In reply to: Or

I have already had 5 hernias and 4 hernia surgeries since I was in my 20's. I don't need another. Don't make me laugh so hard!

RR6

Collapse -
Sorry
by HTHMAN / February 8, 2006 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: KNOCK IT OFF, HTHMAN!

I just could not help myself. For the rest of us on a beer budget, your advice is very, very sound.

Collapse -
hitman, come on...
by dealy13 / February 8, 2006 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

...give me a break...

I'm just trying to get the best for my money...

and roadrunner thanks again for the advice...

Collapse -
Just avoid posts by LINNFREAK !
by norlfolkcentral / February 8, 2006 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: hitman, come on...

and you'll do well with the sincere members of this forum. I don't think anyone will purposely misinform you.

Collapse -
"freak" is the key word...
by mak99 / February 13, 2006 3:43 AM PST

...and I agree that you should avoid his postings! I've only been on this forum for less than half an hour, and I've concluded that he is beyond worthless...

Collapse -
Listen to RoadRunner
by HTHMAN / February 8, 2006 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: hitman, come on...

He keeps up on this stuff and will get you some of the best gear for the money. My comment was aimed at an another thread we have been posting to.

Collapse -
Actually.....
by RoadRunner6 / February 8, 2006 2:44 PM PST
In reply to: Listen to RoadRunner

HTHMAN has a great sense of humor and cracks me up! (my wife loves it when I'm sittin in front of the computer and I start laughing uncontrollably....I have read to her some of the posts and she LOL too). Some of his one liners make me really LOL!

His $1500 DVD remark was about another poster who spends a bundle on DVD players. (knock it off, is an expression we use at work when ever anyone cracks a good one). In fact, what that guy spent for his DVD player, one of us could buy about 13 HTIB systems (that is the $375 variety) and still have $125 left over for Monster cables (I used to be a Math major). That would buy about one 3 foot cable.

Laughter is good for the body and mind. Meantime we have to help this dude, healy13, score a TV for his hizzo. (how am I doin?)

RR6

Collapse -
Thanks
by HTHMAN / February 9, 2006 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Actually.....

Think I will go downstairs and relax. I'll crank up my old KnightKit tube amp, dig out either my vinyl album of The Eagles Greatests Hits or Carol King's Tapestry album. I'll stick them on my Miracord belt-drive turntable, since the Dual 1009 died a while back, dust off the eliptical needle of that Shure M91E cartridge, wipe the album with my antistatic brush and them shoot it with my Zerostat gun just to make sure. I'll drop that 3/4 Gm of tracing force on the first track, put on my Koss Pro4a's, sit back an mellow out. Best sound you will ever hear. Nothing better than that great analog sound with an occasional scratch or pop to bring real depth to your music (unless it is the tape hiss from the Ampex reel-to-reel) Once you hear it, you will never go back to digital DVDs.

Just face it, all your new stuff is just junk. Our ears are analog, and that was the way music was meant to be heard. Grab up that high end vintage stuff before it is too late.

Collapse -
Masterpiece! An Absolute Masterpiece!
by RoadRunner6 / February 9, 2006 3:47 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

A wonderful trip down memory lane. I remember every one. Thanks.

RR6

Collapse -
Still
by HTHMAN / February 10, 2006 2:57 AM PST

I still have some of the stuff. The Knight is long gone as are the Koss, but I do still have the turntable, the Zerostat gun and kit, lots of vinyl and an old Fischer 500T FM only receiver from around 1966-67 as well as one of the first Pioneers marketed. Amazing, they still work.

I think you mentioned a nostalgia thread that you might start. I'll bet if you start it, you will hear from a lot of us old guys with some fond memories of the vintage equipment. Got to be pre-1980 or whatever year all the old companies got bought out and only the name and not the quality remained. While we are are at it..remember Quadraphonic sound? I did not bite on that one.

Collapse -
Just a little disagreement
by NM_Bill / February 13, 2006 12:40 AM PST

My long time dealers have been honest to disdain Monster Cables - they stocked it as customers expect to see it there.

I really believe cheap surge protectors not specifically for a/v typically inflict real garbage onto your video. I got new tech TV, put the old decent computer type surge inline. Called the cable company as not satisfied. Their guy came and quickly showed the difference by taking that damn surge out of the line.

You might sometime objectively consider some better alternative. My posts on related posts relate my pleasure at finally adding a surge/line filter. For years I wouldn't consider the expense. Currently Digitally Unique has Monster Cable Reference PowerCenter HTS 3500 MKII with Clean Power Stage 3 filtering ($400 list) for 168 + shp -$50 factory rebate thru 2/28.

I'm not claiming that brand is the only/best way. Video is substantially cleaned up; audio effect is more subtle, but real. I say experiencing it demonstrates the reality of typical line current crap that can be treated.

Collapse -
IF 42'' is the size you want go with.....
by Riverledge / February 5, 2006 7:19 AM PST

THE PANASONIC TH-42PX500U. Look for it on sale.

Collapse -
Hitachi or Sony....???? You must be crazy.
by HighdefHoney / February 13, 2006 1:14 AM PST

Hthman, the Bravia? C'moooon. I took a good long look at it at a couple of the electronics stores in town here, and the refresh rate is so poor that I often got the impression of moving figures bleeding colour and pixels.

For dealy, the panasonic has definitely got better blacks. The hitachi model is nice, with the little benefit of slight SDTV upconversion. Hitachi, as far as I know, is the only company whose TV's upconvert to 1080p and then back down to something close to 720 for DVDs or regular cable. However, all the scaling doesn't transfer well to the picture, which comes out looking less than smooth, and a bit washed out. The blacks in particular look suffering when compared with the Panasonic TH-40PX50U, which is even only the ED model. The Highdef 42PX500U model is ridiculously awesome, with an advanced speaker system and necessaries like the ATSC tuner. If the price twists you a bit, go for the panny ED, which is still far superior to the Hitachi.

As for the 1500, sounds like a good plan to me. I'm sold on my monster bar. Clean power is almost a necessity for plasmas, because the pixel-technology is extremely power-sensitive. Plus, the manufacturer usually only replaces the screen either after 7 or more pixels have gone dead, or one appears smack in the middle of the screen. Even the best service plans or extended warranties can usually only protect your screen to the manufacturer's standards. Clean power prevents you from having to deal with the headache of squeezing money from the manufacturer, and adds extra warranty to the TV. Depending on the bar, there will be a minimum $150,000 connected equipment warranty; so if your equipment is hooked through the bar and fried by surge, Monster will replace all your equipment. If the price still grates you, at least Monster's stuff is all lifetime warrantied, so you only pay the price once. If it quits on you, or in my brother's case, your Rotty puppy chews through the wires, Monster pays the store to replace it for you on store level.

Best of luck with making a choice.

(Get the panny! ;o) )

-Honey

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bleh...I meant TH-42PX50U....Evil numbers...
by HighdefHoney / February 13, 2006 1:21 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?