General discussion

NT on-Access scanner Error Message

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems with my Dell Desktop computer, and was hoping that someone here could help me out.

I am running Windows XP/McAfee Version 8.0. I also use ad-aware SE personal, and Sypware doctor (It is the free version and I am unable to receive updates). And my husband recenly installed Fix it Utilities 5.0.

In the last week or so my computer has slowed down to almost NOTHING! If I click on start it sometimes takes nearly 5 minutes for the start menu to pop up --after I've been online for a few minutes my pages quit loading. The weird thing is that sometimes (like this morning) it does better.

Since I've been having all of this trouble I've been getting the message "NT on-access scanner has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I don't know if it is a coincidence, but I started noticing the problem after my husband installed Fix-it utilities 5.0. He ran some of the "fix-its" without creating a restore point and I'm afraid that it may have removed something vital to the systems operations.

Also...I've ran McAfee virus scan, and the utilities virus scan and they were both clean. I've also ran spyware doctor and ad-aware, and nothing has helped!

If you need any more information...please ask!

April

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: NT on-Access scanner Error Message
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: NT on-Access scanner Error Message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It's a McAfee issue.

Similar to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324402 the issue may require you to uninstall McAfee, perform some online virus scans as well as eject any Spyware you find (Spybot, Adaware).

Then reinstall your Antivirus.

Bob

- Collapse -
How to Uninstall?????

I've went to add and remove programs to uninstall McAfee and it isn't listed, and there is no uninstall on the start menu.

Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks again,
April

- Collapse -
April, Did You Try The Steps I Suggested?
- Collapse -
April, It Is A McAfee Issue, But...

...the issue usually occurs if you have selected an Asian Non-Unicode language in Regional settings, then you will get this Error messege too.

If you have an Asian language selected, go to the Control Panel", "Regional and Language settings", then select the "Advanced" tab. Check to see what language is selected. Then in the Non-Unicode programs box chose Canada or U.S.A.. After this it will ask you if you want to restart, click yes. When you restart your PC then your NT Error should not show up.

If you aren't using an Asian language on the computer, then please follow the procedures that Bob provided above and use the McAfee forums thread link below about that subject:

NT on access scanner error!

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info