Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

(NT) LOL..Sony's recalling all their CDs...LOL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) LOL..Sony's recalling all their CDs...LOL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) LOL..Sony's recalling all their CDs...LOL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They should also create removal instead of patch only.

In reply to: (NT) LOL..Sony's recalling all their CDs...LOL

A removal for the rootkit they planted that will not put the system into risk. A removal for the rootkit they that will not damage the cd drives.

Collapse -
too late

Too late, I lost my trust in Sony products...but not saying I am boycotting them... Grin

Collapse -
Sony's recalling all their CDs...LOL

I received an E-mail from Amazon.com advising me that my recently purchased Sony copy/protected CD was recalled. I can return my used CD, Chris Botti's ''To Love Again'', for a full refund. I am trying to find out if Sony will release a 'safe' replacement CD. If not, I will keep the copy/protected one I have. It has not and will not be used on my PC.

As far as trusting Sony, who knows what sinister program might be lurking on the replacement CD!!

from http://freedom-to-tinker.com/...........

>>Not Again! Uninstaller for Other Sony DRM Also Opens Huge Security Hole
Thursday November 17, 2005 by J. Alex Halderman

>>I have good news and bad news about Sony?s other CD DRM technology, the SunnComm MediaMax system. (For those keeping score at home, Ed and I have written a lot recently about Sony?s XCP copy protection technology, but this post is about a separate system that Sony ships on other CDs).<snip>

Miki

Collapse -
Don't let Sony make ONE penny from this!!!!!

In reply to: Sony's recalling all their CDs...LOL

First, you can go here: http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html to find out the answer to your question. There is a place there where you can write directly to Sony.

Second, you are a complete fool if you allow Sony to get away with this 'murder' by not making them give you your money back for that CD. You paid for MUSIC...NOT for 'software', i.e. MALWARE!!! EVERYONE MUST show Sony and their subsidiaries that they will only LOSE money by pulling stunts like this or they will just continue with their bad business practices.

In addition to which, what are you going to do with that INFECTED CD once you are tired of it??? You'll have to break the thing in half in order to keep it from infecting an unknowing VICTIM of Sony's deceptive marketing techniques. Even if you give it to someone you 'feel' you can trust not to put it into a computer how do you know FOR SURE where this CD will FINALLY wind up???

Collapse -
Wondering how many people

are so mad over this that they are actually watching the commercials and realize which new movies are out or are coming out in the very near future that Sony.com is involved with and will be staying away from the theaters in droves? I know I for one won't be going to see RENT and unfortunately, it's supposed to be a GREAT movie.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.