Speakeasy forum

General discussion

(NT) Kerry was the clear winner!

by Dan McC / October 13, 2004 12:33 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) Kerry was the clear winner!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) Kerry was the clear winner!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BWHAAAHAHAHA! You are just tooooo funny sometimes! Tks the
by James Denison / October 13, 2004 12:40 PM PDT

laugh :^O

Collapse -
Re: Tks for the laugh -- the laugh's on you, James.
Duel In The Desert.

>>A CBS News poll of uncommitted voters who watched the debate gave Kerry a 39-25 percent edge, with 36 percent calling it a tie. << Interestingly, only 18% of the same group said before tonight's debate that Kerry has a clearly defined domestic agenda. After the debate, 60% of them said he does. That's a home run for Kerry, James -- wish he was hitting for the 'stros tonight!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oh no, not Dan Rather's "undecided" group of friends ag
by James Denison / October 13, 2004 1:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
Notice the subtlety here?
by James Denison / October 13, 2004 1:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
How so? ABC has a tie.
by Edward ODaniel / October 13, 2004 1:51 PM PDT

Kerry was foundering and although again he "has a plan" he hasn't bothered sharing it.

Collapse -
CNN
by TONI H / October 13, 2004 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: How so? ABC has a tie.

had 511 undecideds and immediately after the debate polled them. 52% favored Kerry.........however, after discussion, it was revealed that those people believed that Kerry won the 'debate', but that the 'issues' were a different story. Once THOSE polls were also taken and tallied, Bush either came out on top by a small margin over Kerry or it was a dead heat.

Translation........debate polls reflect only who the people perceive to be the better debator and not necessary will reflect the actual VOTE for the better CANDIDATE. And we still have to wait for those results in November.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: CNN
by Glenda / October 14, 2004 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: CNN

they just said on Good Morning America that 5 of the undecideds in last nights debate group have decided for Bush, 1 for Kerry and the rest still undecided!
Glenda

Collapse -
That is right Toni but Dave...
by Edward ODaniel / October 14, 2004 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: CNN

lives by poll results and they have a strong and unreal influence on his life and perceptions.

He (and others to be fair) can't seem to come to grips with the simple fact that polls are only barometers and inevitably tend to reflect the bias of the group/organization that runs the poll.

The bias is unavoidable but real because no one can phrase a question or comment or control vocal intonation adequately to completely prevent it no matter how hard they may try. Dave also can't believe this although he has been exposed to it in its many forms.

So far Kerry always seems to get the points on appearance and smiles and "body English" (which is fine because he has nothing else to offer) but Bush walks away with the points on content. Some people though can't seem to grasp that content is more important than noting that an expensively dressed, freshly manicured and lipsticked speaker shifts his weight to the ball of his left foot and shuffles papers immediately before farting.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for t he laugh!
by C1ay / October 13, 2004 1:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
LOL What Debate did YOU watch????
by Glenda / October 13, 2004 2:08 PM PDT

I thought Kerry floundered on ALL the issues:)
While President Bush was at ease and ready!
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: LOL What Debate did YOU watch????
by crowsfoot / October 14, 2004 11:25 AM PDT

>>>>President Bush was at ease and ready!>>>> HA! He looked comfy to you?

Bush looked like he always looks. Like a me-me-me little kid too short to see what's on the desk. Like a drowning rabbit of a man outraged at the water and unwilling to kick his legs as he's been told he must. Like an all alone, shivering at the terrifyingly infinite nothingness little point of consciousness wearing a much too large Dubya suit, struggling to square his true heart with the banner he carries which he has learned gives a semisolid surface for his needs to stand on.

In other words, he didn't look comfy to me at all!

-->

Collapse -
by Roger NC / October 14, 2004 11:53 AM PDT
struggling to square his true heart with the banner he carries

While disliking him, his policy, his actions, his presidency is all just part of freedom, do you really belive that Bush is anything but sincere in what he says and does?

There's plenty to debate about effectiveness of different choices and actions, but I personally feel he's true to himself, perhaps a bit too much outspokenly so even at times for a good politician.

Sorry, think you're out of right field here.

RogerNC

Collapse -
by crowsfoot / October 14, 2004 12:42 PM PDT

>>>>I personally feel he's true to himself, perhaps a bit too much>>>> Indeed!

Maybe, Roger. I at least agree that he's true to the horse what brung him. In a lot of ways he's a typical reformed... you fill in the blank. Unwilling and unable to disassemble in the minutest detail his particular refuge, and riding on stubbornness disguised as strength. There was a reality that he lived in before, none of it must ever see the light of day ever again. Amen.

I think he oozes falseness, and I believe he has a subconscious awareness of it. Much like many of us other sinners.

A Mark Fiore cartoon: OppositeLand

-->

Collapse -
by Roger NC / October 14, 2004 10:08 PM PDT

Excessive stobborness can be a detrimental attitude, how many of us haven't participated in it at some time?

I believe that like him or hate him, there is no doubt about Bush's personal principles. Other politicians I have no idea if they have any, that includes Kerry. As far as appealing to me, he's may be the worst choice the Democratic party could have made.

Too many are willing to choose anyone, even someone they know is unfit for the presidency, just because they hate Bush.

All my opinion of course.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Words of a 'winner'?
by Edward ODaniel / October 13, 2004 2:08 PM PDT
KERRY: Once again, the president is misleading America. I've actually passed 56 individual bills that I've personally written and, in addition to that, and not always under my name, there is amendments on certain bills.

But more importantly, with respect to the question of no record, I helped write ? I did write, I was one of the original authors of the early childhood health care and the expansion of health care that we did in the middle of the 1990s. And I'm very proud of that.

Hard to find bills and ammendments he wrote under someone else's name.

Also that bolded portion must be a record even for Kerry--changed his position three times in the same sentence.

Again, Kerry was long on words but short on substance. Didn't count the number of times Kerry had "a plan" that he wouldn't let anyone in on but did note when bush said in response to one of those times -- "I want to remind people listening tonight that a plan is not a litany of complaints, and a plan is not to lay out programs that you can't pay for.

He just said he wants everybody to be able to buy in to the same plan that senators and congressmen get. That costs the government $7,700 per family. If every family in America signed up, like the senator suggested, if would cost us $5 trillion over 10 years.

It's an empty promise. It's called bait and switch."

Collapse -
Re: Words of a 'winner'?
by Glenda / October 13, 2004 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Words of a 'winner'?

And what about Kerry saying Bush hasn't taken care of the Vets??? LOL Bush got him good on that one:)
Glenda

Collapse -
Bush kept some class in the debate.........
by Mac McMullen / October 13, 2004 2:33 PM PDT

....if he wanted to lower himself to the same level as Kerry,
when Kerry low punched and made reference to Cheney's
daughter, Bush could have countered, referenced the
fact that Kerry is Catholic, and asked why the mother
of Kerry's daughters never attends these events with them.

Or, when Kerry was screaching about taxes, particularly in
the last debate when Kerry drew attention to himself,
Bush and the moderator as in the over $200,000 line,
Bush should have reminded that Kerry had used all the
loop holes he was promising to close, to keep himself
in the 12% bracket. What bracket are most of us in ?

Collapse -
Re: Bush kept some class in the debate.........
by Glenda / October 14, 2004 12:21 AM PDT

So true! President Bush has Class! Which Kerry knows nothing about! And President Bush and Laura have stayed married while Kerry has been married 3 times. That says a lot about what Kerry thinks of commitment!
Glenda

Collapse -
Yes, because he also had a tremendous...
by Edward ODaniel / October 14, 2004 1:45 AM PDT

opening in which he could have asked Kerry if he owned one of the pre-ban AK 47s and how many people he had killed with it. He could also have asked if, along with considering himself a war criminal, he considered himself a potential drug dealer because he publicly stated that he prefers the M16 but owns the AK as well as publicly stating that those two were the weapons of choice for drug dealers.

Imagine the "body English" and faces Kerry would have been making and the "indignation" he would have been exhibiting.

Collapse -
Re: Yes, because he also had a tremendous...
by Josh K / October 14, 2004 5:59 AM PDT

I only clicked on your post because the subject line made me wonder just how that sentence would end.

Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and now you know :-)
by Edward ODaniel / October 14, 2004 10:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
The fat lady hasn't even warmed up yet............
by Mac McMullen / October 13, 2004 2:19 PM PDT

Remember 2000....didn't you guys declare Gore the
outright winner of the debates ?

You overlook the fact that debates have no electoral
votes to cast.

IF, just IF, Gore could have won his own state of
Tennessee, or IF, just IF, he could have won Clinton's
state of Arkansas, either one, he would have won the
election.

So stay comfortable with your opinion and scoring of
debates, and don't blame anyone but the voters on
election day. Yep, it's the voters who count, not
pre-positioned biased judgements of debate winners.

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Kerry was the clear winner!
by Mosonnow / October 13, 2004 7:53 PM PDT

The debate has been described as a "wonk-fest" by one commentator, which apparently means that at the point where the answers comprise of little more than figures quoted in billions or trillions, there is a big yawn and folks want to change channel. I confess to having drifted off several times...

Are such answers intended to impress by the sheer scale of the numbers? (given that they are meaningless to most people). By comparison, our politicians tend to refer to "x. pennies on personal income tax", or perhaps this is done more specifically in campaign documents?

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Kerry *IS* the clear WINNER...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / October 13, 2004 10:44 PM PDT
The Last Presidential Debate

FOX News Channel

CBS News

MSNBC

These figures are more than enough to say ---- We have a new President.

It is clear that the American people are seeing CLEAR EVIDENCES that Bush have failed this country in many many ways.

Congratulations in order... for the newly favored Presidential candidate John Kerry.
Collapse -
Evidently
by TONI H / October 13, 2004 11:13 PM PDT

YOU'VE managed to come up with the meaning of "IS" since the Dems seemed to have gone bewildered over that since Clinton.......

Please expound for the rest of us.......

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wake up!
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / October 13, 2004 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Evidently
Collapse -
Re: Kerry *IS* the clear WINNER...
by Roger NC / October 14, 2004 12:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / October 15, 2004 5:07 AM PDT
We'll all see in about 3 weeks.

RogerNC
Posted by: Roger NC

==============================

I hope it doesn't turn out to be like Agfhanistan Election day. But I'm prepared whoever Wins. Are you?
Collapse -
by Roger NC / October 16, 2004 9:23 AM PDT

Hopefully all are prepared to accept the election and get on with dealing with reality. I doubt it though.

As far as referring our election to Afgahanstan, that's more than a bit of a stretch IMO.

Last election was settled by the established channels, yet for 4 years we've heard some complain it was stolen. If this one is as close, will the losing side (whoever it may be) carp on the same thing? regarding recounts, irregularities, etc.

I expect so, some people like to complain more than anything else.

RogerNC

Collapse -
If they said the moon was made of cheese...
by Dragon / October 14, 2004 12:12 PM PDT

...would you believe that?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.