Speakeasy forum

General discussion

(NT) Judith Miller sent to jail.

by Dan McC / July 6, 2005 5:32 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) Judith Miller sent to jail.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) Judith Miller sent to jail.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I guess she'd better tell the prosecutor what he wants to
by Kiddpeat / July 6, 2005 4:58 PM PDT

know. It could be a long time in jail.

Collapse -
Or she could stand up for her First Amendment rights instead
by Josh K / July 7, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

Hopefully she'll have the strength to choose that course.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) she will love the social life
by Mark5019 / July 7, 2005 1:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Where does the First Amendment...

authorize any person or even any member of the press to be above the law Josh?

It doesn't, nor has any court decision at any time in the past extended such exemption from law in any Federal Court.

Just as one cannot yell FIRE in a theater or HIJACK or BOMB in an airport with impunity, the press is limited in what they can claim as any right under the First Amendment.

Collapse -
They know her source
by Evie / July 7, 2005 4:12 AM PDT

She's holding out on some nonsense that waivers obtained by the prosecutor were "coerced".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Till October.
by Dan McC / July 7, 2005 2:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
How many Liberals does it take to atone for a Conservative's
by Ziks511 / July 7, 2005 12:39 AM PDT

Collapse -
What "Crime might that be? There are...

...crimes of many different levels of severity, therefore it would vary.

Collapse -
The crime is Novak's revealing the identity of an active CIA
by Ziks511 / July 7, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

operative, as you know very well. And there's a Time Magazine journalist under the gun as well.

Why is Bob Novak still at large? If he were in jail for this instead of somebody who didn't publish anything on this issue, I wouldn't have a complaint.

Collapse -
Because ...
by Evie / July 7, 2005 4:14 AM PDT

... he committed no crime.

Miller is being punished for contempt of court. Not for the "crime" of outing a CIA agent.

You really should hold your tongue on this matter as you have already been proven wrong on just about every fact known until this point. Why embarrass yourself further?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) what rob wrong never lololololololololololol
by Mark5019 / July 7, 2005 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Because ...
Collapse -
From the beginning the issue twas the revelation
by Ziks511 / July 7, 2005 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Because ...

of the name of a serving CIA agent and the legality of that revelation. The investigation was into the source of the revelation.

Just tell me why it isn't a crime to out a CIA op when the laws of the United States say it is. It looks like one law for the friends of the Administration and another for everybody else.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Get down with the FACTS
by Evie / July 7, 2005 9:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) my thoughts exactly!
Collapse -
Thanks, Jonah.
by Ziks511 / July 7, 2005 5:15 AM PDT

I've sent a letter to Time Magazine saying the same thing.

Collapse -
Look deeper
by Evie / July 7, 2005 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Jonah.

Novak was never a target for criminal investigaton. At best, his source was.

Miller and Cooper refuse to reveal their sources. Novak is being silent, but every indication is that he has cooperated with investigators ... e.g. revealed his source.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
i don't understand this at all
by jonah jones / July 7, 2005 3:12 AM PDT

"A" -novak- already named the woman?
"B" -cooper- wrote an article?
"C" -miller- interviewed someone?

so why is "C" doing time and not "A"?

Collapse -
Because using Novak is a red herring...
by Edward ODaniel / July 7, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

since no one knows whether he was subpoenaed nor if he testified.

He may well have received the info from those "journalists" (Cooper and Miller) who are refusing to respond to a Grand Jury as required under existing law.

Collapse -
Apparently he has testified ...
by Evie / July 7, 2005 4:16 AM PDT

... as has Russert (didn't know he was involved).

Jonah, read my MSNBC article in the other thread about this. It might just turn out that Novak's "source/outing" was second or third hand scooping of Cooper.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Time Magazine, and Miller and the New York Times are on
by Ziks511 / July 7, 2005 4:37 AM PDT

opposite courses. Time has turned over their reporters notes in deference to the court's ruling, Miller has gone to jail to defend her right to defend her source. Why would one of the best connected Conservative journalists, lap-dog of the current Administration and the man who outed the CIA agent, need to find things out from "liberal" journalists. He was clearly doing a character assasination job for the Administration, and with all the talk about Rove its a virtual certainty that they were in this together, but not a word has been said, just this witch hunt after 2 reporters who are NOT in the Admainistration's corner.

I just don't understand why they are the issue and Novak is not. Why isn't somebody in the supposedly monolithic and vicious "liberal" media hounding Novak to reveal whether he has revealed his source and who it is? I think they're afraid of the Adminsitration, and of Novak's special status as the pet attack dog of the Administration and Conservatism generally, but that's only my opinion.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?