Computer Help forum

General discussion

(NT) how workgroup pc join one specific domain

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) how workgroup pc join one specific domain
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) how workgroup pc join one specific domain
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't happen.

In reply to: (NT) how workgroup pc join one specific domain

In the Microsoft way of things...

Workgroups (or a PC in Workgroup setup) can not join Domains.

This is usually a question for those that have a Domain and someone shows up with XP Home.

Bob

Collapse -
You can't do it, but then again, you can.

In reply to: (NT) how workgroup pc join one specific domain

Sounds unintuitive and it is (until you really stop to think it over) and then it sounds like it is reasonable but a pain. Your mileage may vary.

Two ways to do what you appear to be asking.

Method #1
1. Log into XP Home using a local computer account WITHOUT a password.

2. Open My Computer, click the Tools menu, then click Map Network Drive.

3. Select a folder on your network by clicking on the Browse button.

4. After selecting the folder, click on the different user name link on the page.

5. In the Connect As dialog box, for user name enter domain-name\user (where domain-name is the domain you want to connect to).

6. Enter your domain user password and then click OK (if you don't have one don't bother going any further).

7. Check the Reconnect at login box and press Finish.

8. Now when you start up the computer go to My Computer and double click on the networked drive. This will cause XP Home to send the credentials to the Domain and allows you to access the drive.

9. Now you can access files and folders throughout the domain without having to your user name and password

Method #2:
Locate and download Xteq X-Setup 6.1 utility. I have not tried the newer X-Setup Pro 7.0 so will not say it will work the same. I also have not tried version 6.3 but you can locate it here http://www.tucows.com/preview/219636 if you want to try it. (6.1 -all 4 meg- can be found here ftp://rhino.ru.ac.za/applications/Administrative%20Tools/Xteq%20X-Setup%206.1.exe but it is fairly slow)

1. Now use it and navigate to the ''Network | Auto Login | Windows NT/2K/XP | Settings'' option within X-Setup.

2. Enter the appropriate information and click ''Apply Changes''

3. Reboot and you can then join domains with WinXP Home Edition.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!