Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

(NT) explorer.exe error

I need alot of help. I tried to put on the computer this morning and recieved an error message for exporer.exe error. I clicked ok and it created the message over and over. What I did next was foolish. I deleted the explorer.exe file in safe mode thinking that I could always restore it from the recylcle bin, as you may be able to tell I'm not very computer literate. I rebooted my computer and all I have now is my wall paper with no desk top. I didn't get the error, but no icons either. I was able to get on IE to get to this forum but now I don't know what to do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) explorer.exe error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) explorer.exe error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I need a lot more information.

In reply to: (NT) explorer.exe error

Start with the bare minimum of what's in the forum Note:.

Bob

Collapse -
re:

In reply to: I need a lot more information.

I apoligize I don't know what you mean by the forum note.

Collapse -
The words in red.

In reply to: re:

They read "Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

For instance, I could ask you to boot the Windows 2000 Pro CD and do the repair install, but you may have some OEM CD, a System Reinstall CD or no CD.

And the usual answer will not apply to you.

Let's start off with the bare minimum information asked from everytime you make a posting. And maybe a wee bit more.

Ok?

Bob

Collapse -
need more info

In reply to: I need a lot more information.

I have windows 2000/professional, I went into my winnnt folder in safe mode and deleted explorer.exe thinking I can always go back to get it in the recylcle bin, but none of my icons are showing up, just the wallpaper. When I first turn on the computer even in when starting in safe mode it wouldn't let me get into anything with the error that was coming up.
any help that you can give me would be greatly apreciated. Thanks
bmit

Collapse -
Good luck.

In reply to: need more info

Given only what's in your post, I can only tell you to try the repair install. But I don't have your information if this fix helps you since you didn't tell much about your PC, your Windows 2000 CD or much else.

Best of luck.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: Good luck.

Sorry about the lack of info. I don't have any disks, this was a computer that I bought from a company that I used to work for, but they didn't give my any of the disks thay loaded on to the computer. Again I'm sorry about the lack of info I'm pretty dense sometimes. I just looked up and relized what red letters you were refering to.
bmit

Collapse -
No CD means go get the CD.

In reply to: Sorry

Without the OS CD (and license) it's like changing the tire with no spare.

At least Windows 2000 is still being sold.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.