Speakeasy forum

General discussion

(NT) 2008 Rice vs. Clinton?

by gearup / November 16, 2004 8:53 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) 2008 Rice vs. Clinton?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) 2008 Rice vs. Clinton?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes! Rice wins!
by EdH / November 16, 2004 9:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Yes! Rice wins!--No contest really!!!
by null. / November 16, 2004 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Yes! Rice wins!

Ive been thinking this to be the scenario since she was appointed NSA to POTUS. I think she wins hands down over Hillary, people are smart they will choose the best man (er woman) for the job.

Don Erickson
California Republican and very proud of it!

Collapse -
Do you really think she would fly with enough Republicans?
by Bill Osler / November 16, 2004 10:25 AM PST

I'm not convinced either of them could actually get the nomination. That's mostly because I'm not convinced we really have full gender equality in the US.

Whether we SHOULD have full gender equality is a separate question (ducking & running ...)

Collapse -
Re: Do you really think she would fly with enough Republican
by Steven Haninger / November 16, 2004 10:29 AM PST

My thinking is similar. VP seems a good step. I am willing to bet Hillary might be insulted and not accept the second fiddle. Condi just might.

Collapse -
by null. / November 16, 2004 10:47 AM PST

I think she is the most intellegent person availble who may want to run and will make a very good POTUS. Gender and racial equality are issues I didn't think about. Should I? If Condi ran she would have my vote.
I too believe Hillary would reject idea of VP.

Don Erickson
California Republican and very proud of it!

Collapse -
by Roger NC / November 16, 2004 10:41 AM PST

Condi might if Reps decided might be better to run a woman against a Hillary run.

But I doubt either could make it without being VP first, at least not yet.

Perhaps a Colin Powell and Condi Rice ticket? of course it wouldn't fly, not yet anyway, maybe someday it would.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by EdH / November 16, 2004 10:49 AM PST

I think it depends on how she does in the coming four years. If she does well I think she'll be a force to be reckoned with. I can't see her losing frankly. And the GOP likes to win.

Collapse -
No
by Angeline Booher / November 16, 2004 11:24 PM PST

I think both of them are too intelligent to run.

There has been resentment of strong-minded First Ladies over time who spoke their minds, with Eleanor Roosevelt being the last one who was respected for it. Mrs. Carter and Mrs. Clinton drew flack because they "were not elected". So what would be the reaction to a strong-minded "First Gentleman"?

And neither of them served in the military, which has drawn criticism toward past candidates.

And both have their hair done.

Clinton, who supported her husband financially for year and chose not to leave him because of his adultery, has far too many enemies to even win the nomination. And folks wouldn't take her husband as First Gentleman.

Rice is a highly educated woman,and well versed in international affairs. She has a leg up on Clinton as she could designate whom she preferred to carry out the duties of a First Gentleman. But, she will have to fight off a challenge for the nomination by Bill Frist, who has a lot of friends, and has already been testing the waters.

We'll see if the NY voters think the Senator has represented them well. We'll see how the Advisor - to be Secretary performs her duties.

Regardless, I don't think either lady would enter the race. Both have been closely scrutinized, but nothing compared to that undergone by Presidential nominees

And the VP is a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: No
by Roger NC / November 17, 2004 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: No
And the VP is a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

I'd think the first woman to win the Presidency would almost have to win the VP first, and even then it might not be her first run for the Presidency that made it.

And realistically, I'd have to say the same about a black. Unfortunately even at the best there is still enough residual racism to make it difficult presently.

In an odd way, being black and a woman might partly cancel out the drawback of either such that a black woman may have a better chance (at VP anyway) of election than a black man or a white woman. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

RogerNC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?