Desktops forum

General discussion

Nows the time to UPGRADE !!!

by zainsfx / March 2, 2006 9:19 PM PST

My previous PC was an Intel Pentium4, 1.8 Ghz with 128MB RAM and Windows 98SE OS, bought back in 2001.. which was really efficient, it had a 256KB cache and 52X cd-rom, 40 GB HDD

I didn't go for WinXP, with the thought that the prices would probably come down in a year or so, when Microsoft comes up with a newer operating system, (like we all know took so long to come out !!)

I realised my PC was not as compatible as newer models in 2004, because most (but not all) applications required Win2000/XP, but i hung onto it till i decided the frustration was unbearable, because i didn't want to buy a PC that would phase out in another 2 years...

Finally, the time was right Jan 2006, i had to get a new PC.. and i got the best config i could think of, and am certain it'll be as good as any new PCs that technology will eventually churn out in a few months..

Heres what i got:
3.06 Ghz P4 with HT -dual core processor
Intel 915 GL -seems very cost-effective, even if
theres the '945 chpset
512RaM, 400 MHZ
80GB SATA HDD
LG Combo Drive (DVD RoM- CD writer)
2 MB L2 cache
15.4" wide-screen LCD
5.1 Channel Home theater

and the BIG ONE : WinXP MediaCenter Edition 2005

im simply enjoying the experience, my pc's extremely satisfying, and i decided to stay one step back, and not go all in..

>Did't get a DVD writer -because of the BLU-RAY & HD DVD fight-off, can't be sure, my dvd-writer could become obsolete in 2 months !!
Even when they told me that u can write recTV in MediaCenter to DVD format only, i didn't buy that jig, u can convert DVD to VCD quality easily with the freely availbale apps

> Just 80 GB HDD.. i used up almost my entire 40 GB disk space, but who knows SATA may get cheaper, and i could buy 200 GB for the same price as the 80GB in the coming years..

> Theres no Floppy drive in my new PC.. floppys have been phased out now..

> And 512MB will do, even though RAM is down to its lowest its ever been now, when i need it, i'll get it, and i think it'll be soo, considering "Battlefield" withs enormous requirements..

All of it cost me just 1000$, plus i sold my old one for 175 $ which i consider a bargain deal !!

And im sure itll do for me, my nex upgrade would be - a 1gb RAM, 200GB HDD, BLU-RAY/HD DVD compatible DVD writer and what else, if its cheap then, id buy it in a heartbeat ??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nows the time to UPGRADE !!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nows the time to UPGRADE !!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video Card?
by jrmar07 / March 2, 2006 10:07 PM PST

Good luck playing Battlefield 2 on integrated graphics.

And also the computer is already old technology. Your processor is 32-bit, there are newer processors out with 64-bit and dual-core.

And I believe you can find better for around $1000. For instance,

Here's a Package Deal at Bestbuy

That computer has Media Center, 64-bit cpu, 1gb of RAM, 200GB HD, Dual-layer Multi-format DVD/CD Drive, a PCIe expansion slot, decent integrated graphics, 15in LCD, and a photo printer all for $919.97 before $320 dollars in rebates.

Here's another with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ dual core cpu with everything the same above except a 250GB HD for $819.99.

Did you research before you bought?

Collapse -
But...
by strickjh2005 / March 2, 2006 10:54 PM PST

You need floppies.

It is called firmware. It must be updated. So must Bios.

You really do still need a floppy, untill hardware manufactures realize that they could just put a 16MB flash device intergrated onto the mobo that the OS would see as a floppy so that you could boot from it for crap like BIOS and Firmware.

Collapse -
New Software Experience??
by dangelow / March 2, 2006 10:59 PM PST

>Did't get a DVD writer -because of the BLU-RAY & HD DVD fight-off, can't be sure, my dvd-writer could become obsolete in 2 months !!
Even when they told me that u can write recTV in MediaCenter to DVD format only, i didn't buy that jig, u can convert DVD to VCD quality easily with the freely availbale apps

Would you tell me more about the experience with the SW and burning DVD's?

Just did a similar upgrade with a 3GHz, 512MB and 200HDD unit. I went with a 19'' Monitor and Media Center

Collapse -
Didn't get DVD Because...
by jcd / March 3, 2006 12:54 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?