Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Now you can add Libya

by James Denison / February 15, 2011 10:16 PM PST

I'm wondering if Kadafi will react stronger than Mubarak? I'd expect him to.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20110216/D9LDS0BG0.html

Hundreds of Libyans calling for the government's ouster clashed with security forces early Wednesday in the country's second-largest city as Egypt-inspired unrest spread to the country long ruled by Moammar Gadhafi.

Ashur Shamis, a Libyan opposition activist in London, and witnesses said the protest began Tuesday and lasted until the early hours Wednesday in the port city of Benghazi.

Demonstrators chanted "no God but Allah, Moammar is the enemy of Allah" and "Down, down to corruption and to the corrupt." Police and armed government backers quickly clamped down on the protesters, firing rubber bullets, Shami said.

The outbreak of protests in Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Bahrain and Iran has roiled the Middle East and brought unprecedented pressure on leaders like Gadhafi who have held virtually unchecked power for decades.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Now you can add Libya
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Now you can add Libya
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gotta wonder....
by Josh K / February 16, 2011 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Now you can add Libya

...if Iraq would have seen this happen on its own too. That really would have been the ideal solution to "the Saddam problem," to see him toppled by his own people.

Collapse -
I heard somewhere recently that Bush the Younger's
by drpruner / February 16, 2011 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: Gotta wonder....

invasion of Iraq had the unintended consequence of changing Kaddafi's behavior for the better.
And, to borrow "virtually unchecked power" from James, that is what the Mullahs had in Iran until recently, in reaction to another despot propped up by the West.

Collapse -
I would think...
by J. Vega / February 16, 2011 7:15 AM PST

I would think that what really changed Kaddafi's behavior for the better was the air strike in 1986 when Reagan was in office.

Collapse -
I was on Crete at the time
by James Denison / February 16, 2011 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: I would think...

We were tipped about the attack in the secure area, so rolled up on some Libyan military open broadcasts to listen just for the heck of it. They didn't even realize who or what was hitting them. We were cheering and yelling "America, your taxes at work for you" because it was tax filing day, April 15.

Collapse -
That certainly changed his behavior....
by Josh K / February 16, 2011 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: I would think...

....towards the US, no question. But he remained dictator and I'm not aware of any significant changes for the Libyan people since '86.

I really doubt our invasion of Iraq has anything to do with what's going on now. These are uprisings from within -- The People calling for change within their own countries.

Collapse -
May as well add
by Steven Haninger / February 16, 2011 5:56 PM PST
In reply to: Now you can add Libya
Collapse -
And I heard...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: May as well add

again from the BBC, that in Bahrain's case the Shi'ite majority are calling for more say in running the country where the ruler is a member of the Sunni minority.

If this becomes religious based protesting then it could be bad news indeed. Unlike Tunisia and Egypt where the protests appear to have remained largely secular in nature, this turn of events could lead to internecine conflict between the two religious camps.

Mark

Collapse -
The Beeb reports that in this case a secular
by drpruner / February 17, 2011 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: And I heard...

party wants democracy. As you note, though, that could change.

Collapse -
Only the beginning, I'm sure
by Willy / February 17, 2011 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: May as well add

The whole region(s) are becoming inflamed in this new found possible success due to Egypt. Now, it appears the real fight will be more of bloodshed and possibly become a longer involved conflict. Already the regimes or kingdoms are clamping down. It also suggest that the actions are far more aggressive from regimes and should increase the likelihood of religious involvement if not already. The whole point being this is only the beginning of further conflicts I'm sure to arise. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!