Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Now then I find out why my C drive become Low Disk Space.?

Dear Sir

Pardon me for disturbing you again.

The size of my C drive is 5Gb and it created for Windows installation only. But now to my surprise, many of the games and software application were actually downloaded seperately into E and D drive, also found in C Drive. Take example I deleted FIFA 2005 in C Drive, system warned me not to do so but I just ignored, thinking that E drive was the actual drive which downloaded the files and this probably some files spilled over to C drive.
True enough, after deleted FIFA 2005 in C drive, I can't play FIFA game. No choice, I have to restalled all over.
My question -- kindly tell me why some software application/games were actually downloaded in other drive found in C drive too, once deleted, it won't work.

Thanks in advance
haris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Now then I find out why my C drive become Low Disk Space.?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Now then I find out why my C drive become Low Disk Space.?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP never fit well in 5GB.

In reply to: Now then I find out why my C drive become Low Disk Space.?

You will be joining the many who tried that and next tried to keep software out of C:.

-> In short, you are traveling down a dead end road. But that's your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Pardon Me

In reply to: XP never fit well in 5GB.

Dear Sir

Pardon me for not understanding what you actually means.

Kindly explain clearly.

Sincerely yours.

haris

Collapse -
In one sentance.

In reply to: Pardon Me

There are many that have tried to run XP on C: of such space, and most end up fighting with this issue rather than using the machine.

Next time, just make a big fat C drive and it will be less work.

Bob

Collapse -
What size would you recommend then?

In reply to: In one sentance.

If you were wishing to create a partition purely for the OS, what size would you recommend it should be? 10GB?

Collapse -
Let's see. My drive C is..

In reply to: What size would you recommend then?

120GB on one machine and the other is 250GB. I keep organized by using directories. I don't want to be bothered with battling XP about disk space.

Some do want this battle, but they usually don't post about it. They fuss and fume a lot about how big XP has grown and more.

-> About the failing software. Try installing it again, then remove it proper, then install it as you see fit one more time.

You can also use the Search tools to find files a week old on C: to spot where they dropped.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
I don't have my hard drive partitioned

In reply to: What size would you recommend then?

and my computer runs fine. If you read this board for a while, you will find many posts about partitioning gone wrong. You can organize your files and folders without a partition.

Collapse -
Care to elaborate?

In reply to: I don't have my hard drive partitioned

How do you set up an unpartitioned drive to be managable and well-organized? I am discussing this in my thread about partitioning an 80 gig drive. What tips do you have on organizing an unpartitioned drive?

Collapse -
Just like partitions, I use DIRECTORIES to ...

In reply to: Care to elaborate?

File what I want where I want to keep things where I can find them.

There are some that have other goals and will try to partition a small place for the OS and divy up the rest into "programs", "data", "mp3" and more, but that's far more work as you can't foresee far enough into the future exactly what each partition size should be.

Furthermore some of these owners lose it all as they resize the partitions.

Bob

Collapse -
So then,...

In reply to: Just like partitions, I use DIRECTORIES to ...

You just keep the drive intact and install everything on that drive, but divide it up using directories, like ''music,'' ''antivirus,'' ''games,'' etc.? that would be easier to make directories and sub-directories. That is a good idea. I, along with many others, get the idea that it's a good idea to put Xp on its own partition to keep it intact. But this may be unnecessary it seems.

Collapse -
Not so much "necessary", but a personal choice.

In reply to: So then,...

At one time it saved a few from virus attacks but those days are gone too.

Bob

Collapse -
I simply create folders

for the data I download or create. That includes music, photos, documents, updates, etc. I name the folders by what's inside and access through windows explorer.

I owned a computer that had a partitioned hard drive. Back in those days, it was the only way to have a larger hard drive. What a pain. Most programs want to install by default to the C drive. Changing the drive wasn't difficult but, it did cause some conflicts when saving or finding stuff.

Collapse -
Exactly

On the C drive my current PC I have folders as follows;

Entertainment, with sub-folders inside for Music, Video, Photos,

Games, with sub-folders for each game I install,

Utilities, sub-divided for the utility programs I have like anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-adware, media editing, 3rd party browsers,

Downloads, where I keep all program installation files I download, (like Firefox, AVG, Spybot, etc), and they're sub-divided into appropriate folders. If ever I have to uninstall a program for some reason, I have the downloaded installation file to re-install if I want to.

Work, divided into work related topics,

and so on. But of course, this is just my personal choice of filing. My C/Program Files is already pretty large because of the pre-installed programs that Dell put on, so I try not to add to that. And Documents and Settings I have little control about, except I don't install programs there, but I don't use XP's My Documents at all.

Mark

Collapse -
I was told...

In reply to: In one sentance.

that a good partition would be at least 10 gigs, maybe more in order to hold all Windows OS files and additional programs. It gives you enough space and the fact that the files are all on one partition will make defragging much less of a pain.

Collapse -
About defragging. 2 things.

In reply to: I was told...

1. I set mine to do so once a week automatically. I haven't run it manually this year.

2. There are a few that claim dramatic speedups after defragmenting. For those I offer this XP BUG. The drive DMA setting silently degrades from DMA to PIO and doesn't show up in the page that you set DMA as PIO, but it is in PIO (poor i/o?) MODE. Here's the article in which the bug is noted -> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Do you find it odd to set it to PIO, OK it and then back to DMA then OK it to get it to DMA? I wonder why this is the way it is.

Bob

Collapse -
There are differences between downloading and installing

In reply to: Now then I find out why my C drive become Low Disk Space.?

Haris, first of all, no need to say ''Sirs'', we are all equal here, Happy

You talk about FIFA being downloaded onto your E drive, but you deleted it from your C drive. I think you have to understand the difference between downloading and installing.

I don't have C, D or E hard drives, but if I did.........

If I downloaded a freeware game called FIFA, (I say freeware because it would be illegal of me to download and install a pirated copy of any commercial game called FIFA), then I might save that downloaded file onto my E drive. But that is just an installation file. It is not the game itself. The game has ''not yet'' installed on my computer. When I downloaded the file, I would have been asked where to download it to, and I would have chosen a location on my E drive, perhaps creating a folder called ''Downloaded files''.

To install that game, I would then goto my E drive, (from the My Computer icon on the desktop), found the Downloaded files folder, opened it, and then double clicked the file I had downloaded.

That is when the FIFA game gets installed. The installation process will then ask me where I want to install the game to. It will always default to C/Program Files/''name of program or game''. But if I don't want to install the game on my C drive, I would change that to E, and perhaps create a folder called FIFA, and install the game to that folder on the E drive.

Is that what you did? If not, then the game would automatically have been loaded to your C drive, defaulting to the C/Program File folder.

So, it is up to you, whenever you install a program, or game, or whatever, to choose precisely where you want it to be installed to. If you do not, it will always default to C/Program Files.

However, many programs, whether games, or applications or otherwise, will also install files elsewhere on computer, very often in the C/Windows folder, or C/Windows/System32 folder, or even in the C/Documents & Settings/UserName folder, (where UserName is the name of the account on Windows XPcurrently being used). You can't stop that from happening. Although the bulk of the files are installed in the location you choose, some files will also be placed elsewhere on the C drive.

That being said, then perhaps 5 GB of hard disk as your C drive may not have been enough, and in future you will need to be very careful about what programs you install.

If you still have the original downloaded file on your E drive, why not run it again, and this time when it asks you where to install, make sure you specify a folder on your E drive.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.