Speakeasy forum

General discussion

NOW --- LET'S TALK A BIT ABOUT GUN CONTROL

I mentioned this above .. but let's bring it up again. Gun control. For decades the left has been eager to disarm the American people. Democrats and liberals have been dedicated to the idea that only government should have guns, that the people should totally and completely put their right of self defense to government. How would you like to have been one of the people in New Orleans who sat out the storm in their house, only to now find to now find predatory looters trying to come through the front door ... and no police help available. One shot through the door to take out that first looter and the rest would run. They're looking for safe targets, not homeowners with guns. And what about the hospitals? I'm almost dead certain that the rules in these hospitals forbade any employees from having guns on the premises. Now we hear about doctors and nurses moving patients to higher floors of hospitals while looters make their way upstairs. Do they wish they had guns now? How about that children's hospital that was under siege a few nights ago?

Now you know. In times of disaster and civil unrest the government isn't - can't be there to help you. You will, at least for some period of time, be on your own. You have a responsibility to your children, to your family members, to protect them. Are you up to it? Do you have a gun?

wow i wonder if a stun gun would help with all the looters?
we wouldnt want to hurt the scum would weHappy

just think about it
http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NOW --- LET'S TALK A BIT ABOUT GUN CONTROL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NOW --- LET'S TALK A BIT ABOUT GUN CONTROL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not just call 911? After all, the gun is far more likely

In reply to: NOW --- LET'S TALK A BIT ABOUT GUN CONTROL

to hurt you. Remember Janet Reno and her wisdom?

Devil

Collapse -
and where are the police

In reply to: Why not just call 911? After all, the gun is far more likely

in NO!!
there not there are able to help you
by the time they respond your dead, thanks ill provide my own saftey.

and as 911 relies on phones there not working

Collapse -
Yes, lets. If gangs didn't have guns, they couldn't be

shooting them at helicopters and delaying the rescue efforts, could they? More guns would worsen the situation, Mark, not make it better!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
From what I heard.......

In reply to: Yes, lets. If gangs didn't have guns, they couldn't be

These gangs got their guns by looting! Not legal meansSad

Collapse -
The NO police have a lousy reputation to begin with

In reply to: From what I heard.......

one which evidently is true! We need an army to go in there and calm things down...NOW!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wouldn't be surprised if some were the looters.

In reply to: The NO police have a lousy reputation to begin with

Collapse -
You aren't serious, right?

In reply to: (NT) Wouldn't be surprised if some were the looters.

You WOULD be surprised if cops were among the looters, wouldn't you?

Collapse -
You might be, but they are.

In reply to: You aren't serious, right?

It's fact that some of the NO police have been looting. Some for food and water, some for reasons not related to survival. This has been reported in the papers and on the news.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Well, there has been reported

In reply to: You aren't serious, right?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) its all the same to taser dk:(

In reply to: From what I heard.......

Collapse -
I'm sure the gangs went through the registering process

and all the other legal loopholes legitimate gun owners face. Plain and simple... gun control has negligible affect on illegal use of guns.

Collapse -
They get their hands on...

The gangs seem to be able to get their hands on a lot of drugs to sell. Would you have us believe that they could not also smuggle guns? Don't make me laugh, Dave.

Collapse -
News flash! DK, people who shoot at police and helicopters

are going to have guns whether you like it or not. The people Mark is talking about are the people who are victimized by those doing the shooting.

Collapse -
Well I guess the mods needn't worry about your courteous

behaviour.

Collapse -
by definition criminals...

don't obey laws so they would tend to have them anyway regardless of the number available to law abiding homeowners and renters.

How? The same way that they get the illegal full auto weapons that some have--import with their drugs at a much lower price than buying a semi-auto in this country as those law abiding homeowners and renters do.

Armed homes are LESS LIKELY to be assaulted or broken into in the first place. Even you are aware of this or you would gladly have taken me up on previous offers to provide you with signs stating yours was a gun free home to post for the public to view.

Right to carry states have overwhelmingly demonstrated your tired argument to be false and simply wistful wishing. More readily available firearms is well noted and documented to be an effective deterrent to violent crime such as the looters are engaging in.

Collapse -
Gun Control?? Whats that?

Has'nt worked and won't work. All it does is make the average honest citizen a target. As far as looters go, shoot the sobs. Same goes for intruders inside your house that threaten the life of you, your family or property. Shoot the sobs.

Just remember, if hes outside, shoot him anyway and then drag him inside the house so when you call the cops, its self defense.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gun control, the ability to hit the looter, er target..

In reply to: Gun Control?? Whats that?

Collapse -
both 1 and the same

In reply to: (NT) Gun control, the ability to hit the looter, er target..

Grin
Collapse -
I agree with him here

A mob of looter vs. family with children, if both the looters and the family don't have guns, it still doesn't look good for the family. A mob of looters with guns vs. family with gun however gives the family a slightly better chance, especially when the first unsuspecting looter runs through the front door and gets shot, looters will most likely move on because they want an easy target so they can get alot for the least energy expended, not a shoot out for the chance that their might be something worth anything left.

Collapse -
Especially if...

In reply to: I agree with him here

Especially if your gun is something like a "Remmington Riot". A 12Ga. pump shotgun with an 18in. barrel - no choke. Just the chilling sound of "racking a round" with one of those is a sound that all felons recognize and fear.

Collapse -
No, lets not. Opinions have been exhaustively and abusively

delivered here on this issue, from all the usual suspects Right and Left. Nobody has moved an inch or is likely to as long as Gun possession is viewed as a right and not a privilege.

The Right prefer to ignore the "In Order that there may be a well regulated Militia" clause, and the Left chokes over the issue of it being an 18th Century document being applied to 21st Century automatic weapons.

Let's all pass

Rob

Collapse -
well you can pass

In reply to: No, lets not. Opinions have been exhaustively and abusively

as this proves unarmed =victem

Collapse -
Uhm No...

It does not say, "In Order that there may be a well regulated Militia". It says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." It does not say or imply the people's RIGHT is dependent on the militia it says is necessary. It does specifically say the people's RIGHT shall not be infringed. It is clearly a right and not a privilege.

Collapse -
18th Century document being applied to 21st Century

...18th Century document being applied to 21st Century

Perhaps, but the entire document is 18th century being applied to rule our current 21st century nation. Do you suggest we throw it all away and start over?

Changes are to be made by constitutional admendment, a mechanism established by the same document and refined by admendments and laws over the decades and centuries.

Neither side has 100% blame or innocent, but deciding that because things are different now and someone doesn't like guns doesn't change the fact that the people were guareenteed the right to bear arms.

BTW, I'm not a gun fanatic, but understand why people object to registration and such given the governments tendancy to take more than you give anyway.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Collapse -
Not to mention the repeatedly demonstrated failure of the

In reply to: 18th Century document being applied to 21st Century

government to displace the role of the personal weapon. As long as the police are so easily overwhelmed, there should be no consideration of measures which deprive individuals of the right to protect themselves, other people, and their property.

Collapse -
and Rob insists on misinterpreting it by leaving out the

part that spells out the right being reserved to the people, and focusing, instead, on one of the reasons that the right is important.

Collapse -
human nature hasn't changed in 229 years

In reply to: and Rob insists on misinterpreting it by leaving out the

you talk as if a document that is old has somehow becomes invalid... for all the technological advances of the past 2 centuries we as a race have not changed much. We still have people who hate and cheat. We still have people who think less of other people and therefore think that person's opinion does not matter. We still have people who would force there way of life on others. In certain cases we need to be able to defend ourselves but to argue that if we get rid of guns we get rid of violence is nonsense. A club or a knife kills just as readily if not quite as neatly. On the other hand how many times I have seen a total idiot with a weapon that was more dangerous to himself than to others? More than I want to count.

Human nature is the issue... not the constitution. That document has served us well despite all the times our government has been willing to circumvent it for a time. I don't agree with the gun wavers anymore than I do with the gun haters. I was raised to think of a gun as a tool to put food on the table. Sad to say but there are still too many people who need to feed their kids by hunting. A million more people were officially added to the ranks of the poverty level this week (not counting the poor people of NOLO)

Still, for all you crazy city folk...
I personally have a theory about legalized murder for one day out of the year... get rid of a lot of the maroons. Make it safe for us normal people to come in to the city every once and a while.

grim

Collapse -
In regard to 'well regulated militia'...

you might want to take advantage of this to disabuse yourself of the notion that it means what you apparently think it does.

http://www.saf.org/journal/4_Schulman.html

(3) Is the right of the people to keep and bear arms conditioned upon whether or not a well-regulated militia, is, in fact, necessary to the security of a free State, and if that condition is not existing, is the statement "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" null and void?

No such condition is expressed or implied. The right to keep and bear arms is not said by the amendment to depend on the existence of a militia. No condition is stated or implied as to the relation of the right to keep and bear arms and to the necessity of a well-regulated militia as a requisite to the security of a free state. The right to keep and bear arms is deemed unconditional by the entire sentence.

Then take a look at what was actually debated and you should never attempt that specious argument again as those Congressment debating the Second Amendment NEVER for a moment felt right to own and use was predicated by any consent to militia.
http://www.constitution.org/mil/militia_debate_1789.htm

If you have any doubts as to the accuracy of the above feel free to browse the records yourself:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/hlaw:@field(DOCID+@lit(hj001T000)): (copy and paste INCLUDING that last colon)

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llac&fileName=001/llac001.db&recNum=399

Collapse -
Thanks Edward, While I appreciate with the more accurate

In reply to: In regard to 'well regulated militia'...

statement of the 2nd Amendment, and that the right to bear arms is not contingent on the idea of a Militia as I had thought, the fact remains that the idea was to have men available with their own fire arms for a Militia. This is no longer the case, nor has it been for more than a century. Circumstances have changed as has the nature of the weaponry. I think that a restriction on convertible semi-automatic weapons would be appropriate. I think that a return to the situation that applied while I was growing up and learning about firearms would reduce the carnage. Machine guns, regardless of their semi-automatic varieties, were not available to the public. Clips larger than a certain size (?9 shots?) were not available.

I was pleased to note upon moving to Canada that hand guns were licensed (pretty much anybody could get a license except convicted felons and ex-mental patients) and no convertible automatic weapons like AAK47s were available. This has changed recently to a situation where all firearms are registered and must be kept in a gun safe. Ownership parameters have changed very little other than that.

Gun ownership here is nearly as great per capita but gun deaths are unusual. Less than half the murders committed in Toronto this year involved guns, and this is a bad year statistically. I regret that I do not have the statistics nationwide at hand but Canada has roughly 1/9th of the US population but have far less than 1/9th the number of gun deaths. If my memory servs we have something like 10% the number of gun deaths per 100,000 of population.

Its still an issue without a resolution.

Rob

Collapse -
This is no longer the case

In reply to: Thanks Edward, While I appreciate with the more accurate

Witness N.O.

BEFORE the hurricane!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.