Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Now, if these christians just learned to read...

by Dan McC / February 22, 2005 9:55 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Now, if these christians just learned to read...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Now, if these christians just learned to read...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
{sigh} yet again
by Josh K / February 22, 2005 9:59 PM PST
He told me I should die. He told me I should read the Bible.

And probably in that order. Sheesh.
Collapse -
Hey Evie and KP, still think homophobia is fiction?
by Ziks511 / February 22, 2005 11:21 PM PST

Or do you require a burning cross and discarded bed sheets?

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Nobody said it didn't exist ...
by Evie / February 22, 2005 11:56 PM PST

... just as these are examples of extremists that don't share my views, nor do I condone their actions. If this is an example of "homophobia", then you can surely understand why it is an inflammatory label to attach to everyone that doesn't hold the same views as homosexual activists. Every environmentalist isn't an ELF nut either. Nor are the vast majority of pro-lifers in support of the few whackos that target and kill abortion doctors. Nor for that matter are all Muslims terrorists.

Doubtful this will keep the holier-than-thou "tolerant folks" around here from throwing around the derogatory term however Sad

Collapse -
How dumb!
by Kiddpeat / February 23, 2005 1:04 AM PST

Burning crosses and discarded bedsheets evoke the KKK which is racial in nature.

This was not a racial incident. It was also not a Christian incident. There is no connection here to folks who oppose the gay agenda on moral grounds.

Your post is the personal attack that Gays use to try to intimidate their opponents. If someone opposes their agenda, label them as homophobes.

The individuals who perpetrated this attack did not display any fear that I could see. They were not in the grip of a phobia. They were choosing evil behaviour.

Collapse -
Advising people to read the bible?
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: How dumb!

You're calling that evil behavior now? Is it evil whenever christians do it? Or is it just evil when those christians are also threatening death and stoning a house?

Dan

Collapse -
Where did anyone say ...
by EdH / February 23, 2005 2:12 AM PST

advising someone to read the Bible was evil? Perhaps you need to learn to read?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) KP was decrying their actions
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 2:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Dan.......
by Glenda / February 23, 2005 2:31 AM PST

when you find something truly evil that Christians have done, let us know! This is just another example of you taking something that isn't true and blowing it all out of proportion! Where in that article did it specifically say Christians did this? And PLEASE don't site the Inquistion OK??? Or the Crusades!
Glenda

Collapse -
Glenda
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Dan.......

Do you really believe that these idiots would not say that they were christians if asked?

Dan

Collapse -
Dan.....
by Glenda / February 23, 2005 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Glenda

There are a bunch of people that "call" themselves Christian! IMO they mean they are not muslims! There are many that use the term and have no idea what being a Christian is:(
Glenda

Collapse -
Is that what passes for a thoughtful reponse in your circles
by Kiddpeat / February 23, 2005 3:40 AM PST

Dan? The people involved in this incident were not reading the Bible as any first grader could see. If they were reading the Bible, they wouldn't be attacking the house now would they?

I see the 'Crucify Them' attitude persists. Please state your reasons for calling these people Christians.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 4:07 AM PST

I don't think I said they were reading the bible. They were reported to have suggested that their victims read the bible. But since you've brought up this point, it is not unreasonable to conclude that one who is suggesting that you read a bible has read it themselves in the past and intends to do so in the future.

They accosted a house displaying what they mistakenly took as a gay pride symbol. They shouted anti homosexual statements. They suggested their victim should read the bible. These actions are typically, but not exclusively carried out by christians. This is not to say, before you object, that these actions are typical of christians; thankfully, they are not. Oregon is almost 80% christian.

Dan

Collapse -
For the third time, KP
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 23, 2005 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: How dumb!

Webster defines "homophobia" as "irrational fear of homosexuals and homosexuality." Period -- you don't have to terrorize them, you just have to fear them and their lifestyle, and that fits a lot of people on this board. What we have here is the usual tactic of trying to redefine a word to one's own advantage in the midst of a political debate -- an all too common, and sadly, effective conservative tactic, as in "liberal," "feminist," and "partial birth abortion" (an invented, emotionally charged term that replaced the proper, neutral medical term and thus shifted the debate from rational to emotional).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Once again DK......
by Glenda / February 23, 2005 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: For the third time, KP

There is a REALLY big difference in hating, fearing Homosexuals and disapproving of there lifestyle, I don't hate or fear them I just don't want them teaching my Grandchildren that this is a moral choice for their lives:(
Glenda

Collapse -
"partial birth abortion"
by jonah jones / February 23, 2005 2:41 AM PST
an invented, emotionally charged term that replaced the proper, neutral medical term

what is the 'neutral medical term'?

and that's a serious question...

jonah

Collapse -
For the fifth time DK,
by Kiddpeat / February 23, 2005 3:49 AM PST

there is no evidence of fear in this incident. Isn't that what I said? Further, the vast majority of people who oppose the gay agenda are not afraid of gays whether irrationaly or otherwise. If you see fear in anyone's response, please document it. In fact, I agree that's what the word means. I am also asserting that it does not apply to people whose opposition is based on moral grounds.

While someone here may be trying to redefine words on an emotional basis, it's not me! I cannot speak for others who may use such tactics.

Collapse -
Maybe it's the stupid name homophobia
by Jerry562 / February 23, 2005 3:21 AM PST

that causes some difference. These people are not afraid of Gays, they hate Gays. Why not call it hateahomo or homohatred or something that reflects the truth a little better? Fear isn't involved in the confrontations.

As far as the bible goes, it say it is an abomination to the Lord. If the writer of that were on Earth today, we would have to label his work as not politically correct, incendiary, exciting to riot, disturbing the peace or something. There would certainly be a movement to ban the works from schools, because it's unfit to sit alongside the 'Bombs for Stupid People' manual.

Collapse -
Christians?
by Cindi Haynes / February 22, 2005 11:51 PM PST

Gee, Dan, the article didn't identify them as such.

Because someone references the Bible does not make them a Christian. Deciding to accept and follow Christ makes one a Christian. These folks could have just as easily referenced any other book that would have given them their excuse. That's what they're looking for, after all. I've quoted the Bible to make a point before I was a Christian, and so have you!

Please stop your habit of labeling racists and bigots as Christians. You're making big assumptions that may make *you* appear to be a bigot.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
I didn't label anyone
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: Christians?

In fact, I only referred to these christians, not christians in general.

Sure, they could have referenced any book, but of the several books they may be familiar with they picked the bible.

Dan

Collapse -
You DID label them
by Cindi Haynes / February 23, 2005 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't label anyone

In your subject line, YOU concluded these people were Christians. Please point out in the article or in the victim's statement, or the perpetrator's own words where they claimed to be Christians?

The only person to call them so, was you.

It's pretty sad when you denigrate one group of people while lamenting the denigration of another!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Cindi
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: You DID label them

Do you really think that these idiots would not identify themselves as christians? I'm not denigrating a group I'm bringing up what these individuals did.

Dan

Collapse -
Denigrating the Christian group by labeling
by Cindi Haynes / February 23, 2005 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Cindi

Individuals who have not yet been determined to be Christians.

Funny, I recall you being disgusted and using the same argument on Mark in his posts for not clarifying that not all Muslims are terrorists.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Cindi
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 3:15 AM PST

I did specifically and intentionally indicate I was talking about *these* christians. Anyone extending these statements to christians in general is on their own and is doing so without my support.

Dan

Collapse -
*These*
by Cindi Haynes / February 23, 2005 3:22 AM PST

Have not been determined to be Christians by anyone but you. And that was the original point.

And I'm outta this discussion because you know exactly what you're doing, and so do I.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You conveniently forgot to answer my question.
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: *These*
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) She didn't forget, it's unworthy of response
by David Evans / February 23, 2005 3:41 AM PST
Collapse -
when you learn to read then you will see her
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 5:06 AM PST

answer but all you want is a confrontation.
so dan games up my my

Collapse -
Excuse me?
by Glenda / February 23, 2005 4:26 AM PST

"about *these* christians"

Show me where these men claimed to be Christians? Because they told her to read the Bible menas nothing!
Trying to make whole cloth out of air again:(
Glenda

Collapse -
I really wish I were.
by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Excuse me?

The depressing fact is that I am not.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) how do you know they werent muslums?
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: I really wish I were.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?