Cameras forum

General discussion

Now, I know Why Canon hasn't produce an IS sensor.

Reading Jan-March 2007 EOS Magazine issue, they explain Why Canon doesn't have any DSLR "in-body" sensor image stabilization camera:

"The obvious advantage of in-body stabilisation is that you don't need special lenses - it can be used with any lens. But ther are problems. In-body stabilisation is carried out by moving the digital sensor to compensate for camera movement. The aim is to keep the image steady in respect of sensor. This works quite well with short focal length lenses, says Canon. A 24 or 20 mm lens might only need the sensor to move 1 mm or so for moderate camera shake. However, longer focal lengths magnify the effect of camera shake. A 300mm lens would need the sensor to move about 5.5mm to achieve the correction. Canon gets with its in-lens image stabilisation at the same focal length. This degree of sensor movement is no possible with current technology, says Canon. Incidentally, in-body stabilistion is not visible in camera viewfinder because it only affects the sensor. However, Canon has not ruled out in-body stabilisation. At some point, in-body stabilisation may improve to the point at which such technology may be appropiate for certain segments of Canon's DSLR range.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Now, I know Why Canon hasn't produce an IS sensor.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Now, I know Why Canon hasn't produce an IS sensor.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Translation: There are big negatives and poorer images

In reply to: Now, I know Why Canon hasn't produce an IS sensor.

coming out of the camera.

Collapse -
Ive taken one apart

In reply to: Translation: There are big negatives and poorer images

Ive taken the canon S2 apart before and the lens on it is 430mm "equivalent" it must be built into the apature section on this camera because i didnt see it. Ive read people say its a gyro or somthing but i dont see how it works.

A few times the IS function on that camera acted up, when its set to shoot only the IS function only activates when the shot is taken. When its acting up it will clank and the image will shift over and record the shot shifted. Its weird.

Say its on a tripod and the IS is on (because i got use to using it all the time i forgot to turn it off) the subject will be centered when the IS is acting up it clanks and the shot is taken with the image shifted to the left no longer centered.

Collapse -
Ummmmmmm, the post was about DSLRs. The Canon S2 is not a

In reply to: Ive taken one apart

DSLR, and does not have a removable lense. Since your understanding of cameras is a bit challenged, I don't doubt that you failed to find the stabilization mechanism in the S2. You might want to try dissasembing a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM lense. I think you will find a gyroscope in that lense since I have seen how effective its stabilization is.

Collapse -
When i get the time

In reply to: Ummmmmmm, the post was about DSLRs. The Canon S2 is not a

When i get some time ill try dissasembing botta boom botta bang!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.