Computer Help forum

General discussion

Now I get the Blue Screen of Death at startup!

Ok, so now I'm trying to reboot, and I get the BOS with the following message during startup:

A fatal exception of OE has occured at 0167:00000013. The current application will be terminated.

When i hit enter, they system reboots itself, and the whole thing repeats itself, regadless of startup mode. Can anyone help? BTW, I am running windows 98se. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Now I get the Blue Screen of Death at startup!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Now I get the Blue Screen of Death at startup!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Now I get the Blue Screen of Death at startup!

In reply to: Now I get the Blue Screen of Death at startup!

ok, I've re-formatted my new hard drive for the umpteenthtime & am starting from scratch again =(

Collapse -
Re: Related

In reply to: Related

Reformating your drive will not help if you clone off your old drive. All you will do is carry over your problems.

Use another system to download and burn to a CD the drivers you need for M/B and devices or just for the NIC or Modem. Do a clean install of Win98, install your drivers from CD or net,do a full security update. Install and update an anti-virus application.

Provided that their is no hardware problems your O/S is clean with no problems. NOW slave that corrupt drive to the clean system, scan for spy-ware/virus and transfer your data to the new drive. From Windows format the slave drive so it is clean. This drive can be placed in another system or used for extra storage.

Three notes;
1. Your existing O/S is corrupted to an extent that recovery is not possible. Stop trying to recover it.

2.Check your version of IE. IE 4 will not access the internet and if it does you will get all kinds of error messages.

3. To quote another member:
"Hard Drives are temporary storage only. If you want to keeep your data Back it Up and transfer to CD's".

Luck

Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.