TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Novice needs help moving DirecTv DVR files to laptop/dvd

by bradsha / October 19, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

Hi! I'm really interested in getting some of the things I've recorded on my DirecTv DVR R10 over to my laptop or on DVD. Unfortunately, I'm not real savvy about what needs to be done. I can tell you...

DVR: DirecTV DVR R10
Laptop: IBM T40 w/ Intel Pentium M processor 1600MHz
Drive: Matshita UJDA755zDVD/CDRW
Software: InterVideo WinDVD (I've never used it)

Is there someone out there that can give me basic instructions on what I need to do? Please...

Thanks!
JB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Novice needs help moving DirecTv DVR files to laptop/dvd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Novice needs help moving DirecTv DVR files to laptop/dvd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
result?
by leilaniyoza / September 15, 2007 4:27 AM PDT

hey did you ever get an answer to this? i'm wondering how to record off the recorder as well! thanx.

Collapse -
DVR to laptop
by Dan Filice / September 16, 2007 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: result?

In my case, for this situation, I've purchased a Canopus analog-to-digital signal converter and I have my device (DVR and VHS player) connected via S-Video cables to the Canopus, then the Canopus is connect to my computer via a Firewire cable. Since you have a PC, chances are that you will need to install a Firewire card and buy the proper cable. Mac comes with this already. Using a USB connection is not the way to do this. I believe that on DVR units (like my cable box), you can't take the output by using a HDMI cable. You may only be able to ouput by using either an S-Video cable or RCA cables. The companies protect the high-quality signal (like HD) so we can't do much with it.

Now, if by chance you have a mini-DV camcorder, there is a chance that the camera my be able to take the signal from your DVR (using RCA cables) and be able to output the signal back to the computer via Firewire (thus eliminating the need for the separate anaolog-to-digital converter). You'd need to investigate whether your camera can do this.

Collapse -
thanx
by leilaniyoza / September 16, 2007 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: DVR to laptop

seems that over time its STILL impossible to do this simply. i thought possibly with the usb ports in the back of the dvr maybe i could just somehow "put" the recorded shows on there with a flash drive and then download to my laptop and burn from there. i tried everywhere on the menu's tho and no where did it recognize the usb as a potention recording offload. whatever. i thought the whole friggen idea of the dvr was to do away with vcr taping and apparently thats the only way to do this simply. kind of pisses me off. i don't even own a vcr any longer. i could care less if they want to protect their hd signal. just let me download and burn.....

anyway, i'm a rookie at this dvr stuff so thanx for your input!

Collapse -
DVR to DVD
by TheTechSource / September 16, 2007 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: thanx

Some people use a Media PC for this purpose specifically. That elimintes the DVR step. The PC IS the DVR.

Otherwise the first response is correct, you'll have to take the A/V output from the DVR and digitize it using something like a Dazzle product. Here's a C|net review to get you in the right direction.
http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-tuner-adapters/dazzle-video-creator-platinum/4505-9332_7-31852230.html

Happy burning,
Morgan Harman
The Tech Source
Home Theaters and more... in Southern California
Lic.# 849004
http://www.TheTechSource.net

Collapse -
DVR to Laptop
by Jnet85 / September 21, 2007 6:49 PM PDT

If I have a S-Video Port on my laptop (7 pin), and a S-Video Port on my DVR, should I be able to simply connect the 2 in order to transfer the recordings from the DVR onto my laptop? The answer is probably no since most things involving DVR to Laptop are complicated but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance for your help.

Collapse -
YES - software
by randysvh / September 21, 2007 6:53 PM PDT
In reply to: DVR to Laptop

The simple answer would be YES. What software is needed to communicate between them i cannot say. I am not familiar with s-video interfaces and what it can or cannot do, but it seems to me a matter of software. Windows Media Player should work and be able to interface, but i cannot say for sure.

randy

Collapse -
S-Videp Cable
by Jnet85 / September 23, 2007 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: YES - software

Thanks for the input. I bought the S-Video Cable w/ Audio Cables and connected it to my Laptop but unfortunately my laptop did not want to read the device. It did recognize that there was a device connected but didn't do anything beyond that. I guess I do need software or something but I do have Windows Media Player, Windows DVD Maker, and Windows Movie Player but none of those were of any help. I just wanted to come back here and let people know that the S-Video Cable solution did not work for me.

Collapse -
S-Video Cable
by Dan Filice / September 23, 2007 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: S-Videp Cable

All of the software you mentioned are not "editing" software. They are "player" software and DVD software. I use a Mac for this, so I'm not much help in advising on what software you need, but I do know that you do need video editing software to ingest the video you are trying to feed your computer. I think a couple of the popular softwares are WinDVD and Microsoft Movie Maker. Do a google search for "PC video editing software" and they will show up.

Collapse -
Roxio?
by Jnet85 / September 23, 2007 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: S-Video Cable

Hmmm... Interesting. What about Roxio MyDVD Basic v9? Would that work? It has a Capture/Import option and some other editing options as well. I tried to transfer stuff from DVR to VCR but that didn't seem to work either. Is it possible that there is a problem with the DVR itself?

Collapse -
Making DVD Copies of programs on your DVR or TIVO
by RocknRollPt2 / June 12, 2009 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: S-Video Cable

I want to do the same thing since my remote broke for my Pioneer DVD recorder.
If you buy a DVD recorder, it's quite simple. I used to burn copies of The Sopranos, for my friend. Also a good George Carlin special from HBO "Life is worth losing" coincidentally we "lost" George recently.

I found using the "DVD-" as opposed to "DVD+" worked on more DVD players. I hear now you can purchase one that does both "DVD+" and "DVD-"

I still have some of the discs I made. They were from stuff I recorded on the DVR. Took me a while to figure out how it worked. For some reason you had to Title the disc 1st or nothing would happen.

You can even see the "pause" screen at the beginning from when I began running the recorded show to record it to a DVD-.

I'd like to use my laptop to do it now too, since the remote is shot. I would probably be better off buying another DVD player/recorder.
I've almost figured out how to hookup my PC to record TV shows, but it involves a long process. I asked a Radio Shack guy and he sold me this Gizmo that has a USB male plug on one end, and a co-ax cable input on the other. It has a hole on the side that says can be used to hookup an auxillary device such as a DVD player or even a DVR/TIVO.
The Device is called a USB HDTV adapter. It even works with an antenna. It comes with a CD-R which has WINTV-HVR 850, which is the program that makes your computer, interface with television. So far I havent got it to work, but it's been a day, and I didn't download it properly 1st time around. The device is called a USB HDTV Adapter with WINTV-HVR 850 Model 1230.Made by a company called Hauppauge. I guess named after the Long Island Town where they're located. Here is a link to it on their website... http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=hauppauge&origkw=Hauppauge&sr=1 Good Luck!

Collapse -
DVR to Laptop or dvd
by Jaja3479 / April 13, 2010 5:34 AM PDT

Hello
I have a Direct tv HD dvr & have been dying 2 know how to record the data saved on my DVR to my laptop (sony vaio) or straight to a dvd recorder.
I currently do not own a dvd recorder bt am planing on buying
one if thats a better obtion than transfering from dvr-laptop.
& if it is a better option, do u recommend any recorded.

Collapse -
moving DirecTv DVR files to pc/dvd
by haron55 / September 2, 2010 2:36 AM PDT

my HD Samsung tv av-2 output goes to my DVD Recorder input.
I record a program first to the Directv HD DVR model HR21, then play it back to tv to watch, sometimes editing out the commercials by fast forwarding thru the commercial. I can also just be ready to record to the HD DVR R21 by ptressing the OTR [one touch recording]button on the DVD Recorder.
more >> http://dvr-computer.cz.cc
I can also set the timer on the DVD Recorder to begin recording for the exact time the program airs on tv, having the tv on the channel the program will appear on at the beginning time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?