Computer Help forum

General discussion

Noton's systemworks

by Cezar / January 1, 2005 11:25 AM PST

When you install a new version do you have to uninstall the old version first, or will it just over write the old version?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Noton's systemworks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Noton's systemworks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Norton Recommends to UNINSTALL The Previous Version
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: Noton's systemworks

...first. Although the new program is designed to automatically uninstall the previous version, it's always better to clean things out first...You didn't mention which version you have currently installed, but check the links below (Note this statement toward the bottom of the first link: (Why use SYMClean:
Norton SystemWorks is not intended to be installed over the older versions of NSW):

Using The Norton System Works Clean Up Utility
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001101612274407

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/81a95b2ad449860288256bd400800b13?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

How To Completely Remove Norton AntiVirus 2004 And Then Reinstall The Program
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/9f87b423fda7cebe88256d97007bcdd0?OpenDocument&prod=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Norton AntiVirus, Ver 9.06.02a, (OEM) for Toshiba Laptop A25
by mumbas / January 3, 2005 5:18 AM PST

Does Norton recommended removal apply to subject software? If so, is that a reflection of the product effectiveness?

Where can I read reviews of the Norton and other software which does the same (and possibly more) functions BETTER than the Norton product I currently have and have been prompted to renew (on my laptop - Toshiba A25-S20 with XP Home) this month?

I would like to know if the competition offers a superior product at the same or less price for a one year term. Also Norton's software does not appear to help with spam or popups. Thanks.

Collapse -
Mumbas, It Becomes A Personal Decision...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 3, 2005 8:13 AM PST

ON my new computer, I uninstalled Norton immediately upon purchase and installed a major brand-name product which I get to use for free. Sometimes, you can watch for sales at your local stores and purchase a new version for next to nothing.

Then again, if you like the way the Norton is running on your machine and you haven't had any problems with it, then why switch..?? It is certainly worth a little expense to have a clean running computer.

I've given some other options in my reponse to you further down this thread.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
worth a little expense
by mumbas / January 3, 2005 8:31 AM PST

Totally agree! But I don't know if the machine performance has been negatively impacted by the "Hot Bar" which has appeared on my browser or if my every click has been monitored. Things just seem to present themselves on IE, without any intervention by me.

At least the computer has not seemed overly slow to this less than stellar techie.

Collapse -
systemworks
by Cezar / January 1, 2005 12:21 PM PST

I have 2002 I'm going to install 2005.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Cezar, Same Advice...Uninstall FIRST
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: systemworks
Collapse -
norton's
by suzieq / January 2, 2005 9:39 AM PST

from my experience, it was best to uninstall the software first. i originally tried to install the latest version over the old version, byt it would not install correctly. so i wound up having to uninstall and start over.

Collapse -
Norton Antio Virus Software
by mumbas / January 3, 2005 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: norton's

Thanks for the information.

But is there better software that does the same things at similar price ($35/yr or new 2005 @ $50)?

Collapse -
Sure, Do It For Free...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 3, 2005 8:08 AM PST

...but you'll need to download from different vendors. Here are just some examples.

Antivirus:

AVG

Avast

Firewall:

ZoneAlarm

Sygate

There are others, but there's no need for much more than that. You should be able to easily research other options.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Better Than Norton AntiVirus Software
by mumbas / January 3, 2005 8:23 AM PST

Which of the software vendors you mentioned do you think have the best products? What features do you like about any of the software vendors which you mentioned?

Also

Does CNET have reviews of actual software packages?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Better than Norton.....
by Haole / January 3, 2005 2:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Mumbas, That's YOUR Choice
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 4, 2005 2:37 AM PST

I only supplied a few options and whether they are "better" for any particular user is up to the user. Everyone will have a different opinion. If you want to check reviews made by others...click on the link below and do a search for antivirus reviews:

http://www.google.com/

And most importantly, with the "free" products I listed earlier, it doesn't cost you anything to simply install the product and try it. If you don't like it, uninstall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?