Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Notification Cache Reset Problem

by AM-ITgeek / November 20, 2007 12:24 PM PST

I have encountered a unique problem, and I present this to CNET forums, hoping to find some solution. I have windows XP SP2 machine, with 1 gb of ram, and 75 GB of HDD. My problem is:

I cannot hide my inactive icons, in the notifiction area of the taskbar. What exactly happens is that, when i customize the icons, that appear in the notification area, to always hide,some icons then, a small arrow button appears in the notification area(as normally does), indicating the hidden icon, but as soon as the system restarts, the notification area is again back to it's default state, i.e the small arrow button in the notifcation area vanishes.

So, I suspect the notification cache, is cleared when the system restarts, How to fix this problem, any suggestions??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notification Cache Reset Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notification Cache Reset Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / November 20, 2007 12:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: The tool doesnt work in my case.
by AM-ITgeek / November 20, 2007 4:29 PM PST
In reply to: Response

The taskbar repair tool, that you have suggested I have used that, but still it doesnt work for me. Mine is a typical problem.
Whenever, I customize the notification area to "always hide" some icons, and "show" some icons, the settings gets applied only for the login session, as soons as the I restart, the settings the I have done in the notification area doesnt gets saved, and it the notification area is back to its default state. This is specific problem.
Do you have any suggestions??

Collapse -
Since you mentioned Settings not saved"
by JP Bill / November 20, 2007 10:19 PM PST
Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Remove Past Items From the Notification Area (Line 53)

Once done, Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and then click End Process. In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then click OK.

After you have all icons in place, run this edit:

Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)
Collapse -
If JP Bill's RESPONSE does not work, try this...
by BlackBart1955 / November 20, 2007 4:53 PM PST

Go to Control Panel and open User Accounts. Make a new account, a "dummy account" that you are going to delete later. Log off and then log on to the dummy account. Do you have the same problem there? If not, then backup your MY Documents folder, your Favorites folder, and your Desktop folder and then, from the dummy account, delete your account, using the "delete all files" option. Once it is deleted, open either Windows Explorer or My Computer to make sure the account folder is deleted. If not, then delete it. Reboot, open the dummy account again, and then create a new account with the same name. Open your backup program and restore those folders that I had you backup. It should work as it should again.

While the Microsoft Backup is NOT sufficient enough to make a complete system backup, it IS sufficient enough to make the above backup. However it does not automatically install in Windows XP. It is found on your Windows XP installation CD at CDDrive:\valueadd\msft\ntbackup\ntbackup.msi. (See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422/en-us.)

If it is not there, as on my CD, look for it at CDDrive:\i386\ntbackup.ex_ (and ntbackup.hl_).
You will then have to expand these files by opening the command window and typing in (from the CDDrive:\i386\) expand ntbackup.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\ntbackup.exe. Do the same for the hl_ file, changing it to hlp. Make a shortcut for ntbackup.exe and place it in the Start Menu folder at Accessories\System Tools.

If you still cannot find it, you can request a hotfix e-mail at https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;[LN];1414&from=KBHotfix&WS=hotfix or do an Internet search for ntbackup.msi.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.