General discussion

Nothing will show up on the monitor

I have a Dell XPS 720 that my brother got from a friend.The problem that we had with it is that nothing will show up the monitor. We connected the monitor to the graphics card by a HDMI to DVI-I cord. Also when we turn the computer on there is continuous beep.I have already tried removing the graphics card and placing it back in. I also taken out the ram and put it back in.Any advice will be appreciated. I would love to get this computer working again.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Nothing will show up on the monitor
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Nothing will show up on the monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Continuous beep

One solid beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, or a beep.. beep .. beep, or a sequence of beeps?
Whatever the beeping is, you should look up in the dell website, or the documentation for your model, and diagnose what that beep means.

I don't think the monitor, connected or not, will cause any beeping. Your problem is more early than that, such as a BIOS error, some memory error, or perhaps even a power supply error.

BTW, when you finally get past this beep, you should connect your monitor with a direct cable, and not use some adapter or converter cable. Even a regular old VGA cable would be good (assuming you have those sort of connections) to get you to a point to get the computer up again. Leave the adapters out until you don't have other problems to worry about ... one thing at a time.

- Collapse -
Check and verify

The PC system you got was the one that worked all together originally? If not and you changed the video setup in some way, you need to return to that type of setup just to get it working. You can then change the video setup as required but outside of the beeping if not video related, could be more than one problem. As for the beeps, that has to be taken care of. It's offering a bios beep code that points to some problem, so count the beep sequence and look-up the bios error codes. if you haven't already closely inspect the innards and verify its all connected and FULLY SEATED. I assume also, the system was working before you brought it home and saw it working.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Graphic Card

Make sure your graphics card is completely snug inside its designated motherboard slot. If it is, then the motherboard is not posting. So, it is either your motherboard or graphics card.

CNET Forums