HolidayBuyer's Guide

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Notepad

by gjgalveza / October 10, 2009 4:35 AM PDT

Is it possible to build a good entirely functional (still) Web site using only Notepad? I am talking about a Web site with probably five or six pages or may be twice that amount if I make the site available in two languages. Even when I am talking about a still Web site, I mean an entirely professional "good looking" Web site that is easy to read, and that downloads fast, etc. I am starting and your opinion is important to me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notepad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notepad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That was discussed in this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Notepad

The answer is still yes.

Collapse -
Notepad. That was discussed in this forum.
by gjgalveza / October 10, 2009 4:57 AM PDT

How interesting. You say "that was discussed in this forum". That means I can find more information about the subject somewhere in this forum. Even when your answer is more than enough let me see if I can find that discussion (somewhere within the forum) Thanks again Bob.

Collapse -
Your question was a simple yes or no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 5:36 AM PDT

Since the answer is still yes, you might want to expand the question. Maybe you wanted to know how but I don't see that question and the question and answer was exactly like you posted. There is not much to do except say yes.
Bob

Collapse -
Notepad (Your Question was a Simple Yes or No)
by gjgalveza / October 10, 2009 6:49 AM PDT

Well, Bob. If you can tell me about how to make an entirely functional Web site using Notepad I am more than willing to listen carefully about your suggestions and follow your advice. The fact is I want to have presence in the Internet. I was thinking about using FrontPage 2002 that I have installed in my computer even when I do not have an Instruction Manual about how to use it. But I want to learn a little (or as much as possible) HTML and XHTML. I am starting to read tutorials about HTML (XHTML)and Web site Design and Development. I am discovering (and in the process of digesting) that Notepad can do the trick and that FrontPage and other editors (WYSIWYG's) may introduce estrange code. I am not trying to be a developer or even less a designer of Web site. I am trying to sell (one single educational product) through Internet. I think a simple but attractive (still) Web site can do the job. Newspaper space and printing used to be very expensive to get started. Now with the digital world advancing by leaps and bounds I may have a chance of selling (or try to sell) the product I have to offer with less initial investment. That's the situation. I know the product sells but I do not have a full market research. It is intuition. That's the situation. Any help and piece of advice is welcome! (Sorry for my delay in my reply, I was out for lunch. Later of course I would like to acquire DreamWeaver and new version of FrontPage and the best hardware and software).

Collapse -
Try making a fresh post with that question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 7:26 AM PDT

It usually is answered with yes but given great tools why would anyone want to do it with notepad UNLESS they wanted to learn HTML and more at what could be called an atomic level.

Ok, let's say you were to create such a site. It's all back to school time over at www.w3c.org and more.

Why not use a web creation tool?
Bob

Collapse -
Notepad (Fresh Post)
by gjgalveza / October 10, 2009 7:44 AM PDT

Yes I think I understand. I should try to learn (X)HTLM and use Notepad just to a certain extent and not more. Because if I go that way I will end up writing in machine language and finishing my Web site by the end of the century. Creating the educational material I am trying to sell has been intricate enough to enter at this moment into the complexities of creating a Web site without the help from Web creation tools. I will post again ASAP. Thanks again dear Bob, needless to say I am much grateful to you and CNet.

Collapse -
Let me share what I use to make web pages.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Notepad (Fresh Post)

I author equipment test software. While not a web site I use HTML pages for the instructional screens to the operators (people) that feed the machines. HTML lifted the burden of me coding in C, VB or other languages those screens.

Ok, I'm using "Composer" of the Mozilla Seamonkey suite. It's very basic editing and all I need. For graphics I am using a simple digital camera by Kodak (dx7590) and editing the graphics and photos I'm using the Corel X free version (was using Paint Shop Pro).

All these screens are static and give my test software the edge for cost (it takes me less time to change those screens than my competitors) and render quite nicely.

Hope that helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Notepad - Composer
by gjgalveza / October 10, 2009 8:13 AM PDT

Yeah, that helps much. See you!!

Collapse -
I use Notepad++
by Sovereign Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Notepad - Composer

for all my Web site development and programming needs. I love the syntax highlighting for XHTML, JavaScript, PHP, etc and the fact that it has a built-in FTP program. You should take a look at it.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Notepad++
by gjgalveza / October 11, 2009 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: I use Notepad++

So, there is something called Notepad++. Let me do a little research. Sounds like something interesting. I still have more questions that I may probably post ASAP. I feel I am making progress. Thanks Sovereign. See you.

Collapse -
Notepad++ seems quite complicated.
by gjgalveza / October 11, 2009 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I use Notepad++

This Notepad++ looks way a little too complicated. If I download Notepad++ will the normal Notepad disappear? How in the world do they make that little cute Notepad++ chameleon that changes colors all the time and moves the eyes as a fish? It is really amazing! Or see the colors and text in the balloons in www.cartridgecomics.com . Making Web sites is becoming like a high level art. What chances (of success)do we have if we approach the marketplace with a simple static Web site? Can I really use Notepad++? What do you have to say Sovereign? Thanks for bringing Notepad++ into my attention anyway. I need to have presence in the Internet, and soon.'Till tomorrow, or asap. Hope to hear from you again!

Collapse -
Notepad++ is not complicated
by Sovereign Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 4:24 PM PDT

You can use it just like a regular notepad, however it has many features that you may find useful in time...

It does not replace your default Windows notepad. Notepad++ is its own separate application.

And yes, you can build dynamic Web sites with Notepad++ since a dynamic Web site does not depend on a program, but on the code that created it.

You have to start somewhere. You are already a step ahead of most people, because usually users start with WYSIWYG editors and become too depended on them, but you are starting with a program such as notepad, which ensures that you know what every single line of code does.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Notepad++ is not complicated.
by gjgalveza / October 12, 2009 1:41 PM PDT

Ah, extremely interesting. Sorry for the delay in my reply. So, I am going to star downloading Notepad++. I should be entirely confident that it won't destroy in anyway the Notepad included with the OS (Windows XP)or interfere in any way with other software or even less with hardware. I am not really fearful but it is better to be careful. I will try to make a simple Web site and upload in a free hosting service. Thanks for your encouraging words. Through the week I have less time available. but I will try to progress as fast as possible. See you Sovereign and I appreciate your kindness. If you have any further commentary before I download Notepad++, go ahead please, it's always helpful. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.