Laptops forum

General discussion

Notebook speed

I am planning to purchase a desktop replacement and have narrowed my search to the Fujitsu Lifebook N6010 / N6110. I am not a gamer, but use the internet & MS Office extensively for my business and I want the fastest speed possible. I am confused about the processor, RAM and L2 cache configuration. Can someone please tell me which would be faster/better and the pros and cons of each?

The P4/538, 3.2 Ghz CPU, 1MB L2 Cache and 2GB DDR SDRAM
or
The Pentium M/750, 1.86 Ghz CPU, 2MB L2 Cache and 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pentium M

In reply to: Notebook speed

Pentium 4 has 533fsb just as the PM.
1.86x2=3.72GHz P4.
DDR2400??? or ddr2533? DDR400? DDR333? Don't kbnow speed of ram.
PM is better so far in this case.

Collapse -
Pentium M

In reply to: Pentium M

Thanks for the info. I just learned that the P4 has DDR333 RAM and the PM DDR2 533mhz. Also, I was a little confused about your formula, 1.86 x 2 = 3.72 - does that mean the PM runs twice the speed it is advertised?
Thanks!

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Pentium M

No to compare with a pentium 4, you basically multiply it by 2. So if its 2.0 ghz, then it competes with a Pentium 4 at 2.0Ghz. OK, i would definitely get the Pentium M.
Roger

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 4 ghz not 2

In reply to: RE:

Collapse -
RAM question

In reply to: (NT) 4 ghz not 2

Thanks for clearing that up. I am still in the dark about how much ram to put in it. I thought to buy the most they offer, but I am not a gamer and rarely have more than one program open at a time. When I do it would usually be Outlook or Word and a couple of internet sites which is use extensively in my work. I do want the fastest response time possible but don't want to waste money on additional ram if there is no benefit. I read that MS Office needs 256MB so I think 1GB would be the minimum I should get. Gievn the above do you think I would notice a difference between 1GB RAM and 2GB?

Collapse -
No

In reply to: RAM question

I didn't notice a giant difference between 512 and 1280. Being at or above a gig is good though.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.