Laptops forum

General discussion

Notebook or Desktop

by nhurden / October 29, 2005 2:13 PM PDT

Hi

I want to know if it would be advisable to use a notebook for gaming.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook or Desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook or Desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Expensive
by olatewe / October 29, 2005 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Notebook or Desktop

There are some laptops that can run any game out there as of now. However, it's gonna cost you a bundle. I myself don't have a laptop but I've been researching them, especially the HP Pavilion ZV6000 (not recommended for serious gaming). Since notebooks aren't as customizable as desktops I'd advise you to go with a desktop for gaming as companies would throw in a lot of stuff you won't need.

The best gaming notebook out there would have to be a dell, I really hate dells but I have to give it to them on this one, the XPS laptop is a good gaming laptop and would run anything on the PC gaming market

Collapse -
yes and no .it comes down to how much you want to spend$$$$$
by Qosmio / October 29, 2005 2:45 PM PDT

going with a gaming notebook getting great graphics and sound as well as a great screen will cost you bucs.dell,s xps2/toshiba qosmio G25 are power packed f,sure giving just that.from 3000 to 3600 .The Game DOOM 3 runs excelent on both.going with a desktop for gameing will cost half as much giving you the option to upgrade the graphics card in the future.I use my notebook as a desktop . gameing/media center/ work/everything giving me the flexabilty not to be stuck at a computer desk all day longggggggg.

Collapse -
You can get good performance at a reasonable price....
by togus / October 30, 2005 12:12 AM PDT

in a notebook. The new HP Dv4000 with the ATI X700 card runs Doom3 at medium settings with no problem at all, also runs Call of Duty which is a demanding game. A Dv4000 can be nicely configured for $1300 or so. If you want 64 bit technology the MSI MS-1029 is a powerful machine at a reasonable price. As far as the best gaming notebooks, that's certainly debatable. Sager, ASUS, Falcon, Dell, Toshiba, VooDoo and others make very expensive and very high performance machines that should run anything currently available. I bought a Dv4000 and love the machine, a great balance of performance, value and portability. I also wanted to buy a machine from a company that is large enough to have parts and be in existence in a few years...

Notebooks, like boats, are all about compromise; but I think the flexibility they offer (I'm typing this in a arm chair while watching the Sunday morning political talk shows, later I'll take the machine with me to a local bagel shop to drink coffee, listen to live jazz and do e-mails, in late afternoon I'll go on line to play some games) can't be beat.

Notebooks, like boats, are all about compromise; but I think the felibility they offer (I'm typing this in a arm chair while watching the Sunday morning politial talk shows, later I'll take the machine with me to a local bagel shop to drink coffee,listen to live jazz and do e-mails in late afernoon I'll go on line to play some games)can't be beat.

Collapse -
becareful
by Qosmio / October 30, 2005 1:52 AM PDT

cnet has a great notebook rating
http://reviews.cnet.com/notebooks/2001-3121_7-0.html?tag=glnav
go to( consumer reports.com )there nonprofit and look up the pc makers track record.dont get stuck in a rut with junk
if you want a gaming notebook you want a great graphics 6600-6800 nvidia.so many gamers get a notebooks and lose buy going cheap .if you go notebook go proformance for gaming.
the desktop as stated above would be the less expensive as well as easy upgrade at less cost.

Collapse -
If games will be the primary use of the system...
by Nooorm / October 31, 2005 3:04 AM PST

...BUILD a desktop. You can build a very good desktop gaming system for around $1,200 (USD), a budget sys for $800. I check this site about once a month for config updates:
http://www.extremetech.com/category2/0,1556,644478,00.asp

Extreme Tech updates their game sys builds regularly. I built the "Bang-for-the-Buck Gaming PC" over the summer. Runs like a champ. Handles most games with ease and any thing else I need it to do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?