Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Notebook not connecting via WiFi

I saw this message on the Toshiba site that may be the problem. My problem is that Im not sure what they are talking about.

Attempts to connect a Toshiba Wi-Fi enabled computer to a D-Link DI-713 Wireless Router may fail if WEP encryption is enabled on the router. This applies to Toshiba portable PCs using Agere (Lucent) -based Wi-Fi adapters, which may be branded as from Toshiba, Buffalo Technology, or ORiNOCO.

Download and install new firmware for the router

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook not connecting via WiFi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook not connecting via WiFi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My workaround is...

In reply to: Notebook not connecting via WiFi

To use MAC FILTERING until the vendors supply WEP or WPA that works with your combo.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, are there any simple instructions

In reply to: My workaround is...

for Mac filtering?

Collapse -
Sadly no.

In reply to: Bob, are there any simple instructions

MAC filtering, the menu on each router varies too wildly for any step by step instruction. But the short version is that most routers I've seen have this feature and I found most "all too easy" to use. The last one would show a list of currently connected machines (their MACs) and you could add them to the accepted list. Once the list was done, you would enable MAC filtering. It was all of 2 steps.

Bob

Collapse -
Ive been trying this page ---

In reply to: Sadly no.

here:
http://tinyurl.com/ddz8k

And Ive gotten addresses from two puters, but the third one is not cooperating.

I have the address from my Win98 and from her Toshiba (XP) notebook, but not from her HP XP. It says it cant find it. I tried two different methods. One, typing 'winipcfg' in the Run box, and secondly typing 'cmd', then 'getmac'.

Collapse -
see...

In reply to: Ive been trying this page ---

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) maybe I just need to get a different router

In reply to: see...

Collapse -
another question

With this one WiFi notebook do I need all addresses from all computers or do I really only need one?

Im looking at the Netgear smartwizard router manager.

I see this:
Use Default Address
Use Computer MAC Address
Use This MAC Address

Maybe all I have to do is use the address that pops up when I click on "use this MAC address", or the physical address the puter gave me?

Collapse -
Its fixed! Thanks yall for your input

I took the machine and the router to the store to rule out that the router wasnt transmitting, and the sales guy did something to it.

I have a very happy wife, now. Happy

Collapse -
Netgear Firmware

In reply to: Notebook not connecting via WiFi

Collapse -
I thought Id try yours first

In reply to: Netgear Firmware

These are -some- of the directions. I ran into trouble with #6. Maintenance? I dont see that.

1. Open a Web browser.
2. Access the router (http://192.168.1.1 or the Default Gateway address if the router's default IP was changed).
3. Log in the router (User Name = admin and Password = password, unless you changed it).
4. Write down all settings that you entered when previously configuring. (Usually this includes information such as ISP configuration and wireless security settings.)
5. Download the file wgr614v5_1_0_7_1_0_6.chk from the link below.
6. Under Maintenance, click Router Upgrade.
7. Click Browse and locate the firmware upgrade file.
8. Click Upload.
9. Wait for the router to reboot.
10. Under Maintenance, click Settings Backup, then click Erase. (Or press the reset button on the back for 10 seconds.)
11. Wait one minute for the router to reboot.
12. Manually enter the configuration information you wrote down in Step 4. Use the Smartwizard, or manually configure as shown in the box below.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.