The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

notebook lcd cleaning

i was cleaning my macbook's lcd with water and a really mild hand soap (all i had at hand) and i wiped that off, then went over the screen with just water, this water got under the first layer of plastic and a few others i think so now there is water trapped between layers of plastic.

i know that i should have used a microfibre cloth, and i found one (alas, too late). the computer works fine but the water is irritating. it is sitting in the sun right now and that seems to be working somewhat. is there anything else i can do?

i also know that it was incredibly foolish and stupid, no doubt i learned my lesson the hard way. i just hope there is no soap residue..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: notebook lcd cleaning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: notebook lcd cleaning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anyone know the proper way to clean an LCD?

In reply to: notebook lcd cleaning

I've had this monitor since 2003, I usually just wipe the dust off as I'm afraid to use anything else. Anyone got any suggestions as to how I should go about cleaning it...safely, I think this would be a good video for CNET to do as I know a lot of people who ask me this same question.

Collapse -
Glass Cleaner

In reply to: Anyone know the proper way to clean an LCD?

I use glass cleaner sprayed on an old washcloth, my eyeglass cleaning spray on a microfiber cloth, or pre-moistened eyeglass wipes.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I use Windex and a paper towel

In reply to: Glass Cleaner

Collapse -
Same way I clean my glasses

In reply to: (NT) I use Windex and a paper towel

I rub it with my shirt

...I'm awful, I know

Collapse -
The proper way to wipe and LCD Screen

In reply to: Anyone know the proper way to clean an LCD?

1. Lightly rub with a sheet of Bounce, will pick up most of the static-adhered dirt.
2. spray windex on a TISSUE and wipe lightly.
3. wipe any excess windex with a dry tissue.

Collapse -
YOU PUT WHAT ON YOUR LCD?????!!!!!!

Their are lot of products out their spacificly designed to clean lcds. DONT USE ANYTHING ELSE. Most of the time all you need to do is wipe it with microfiber, but for when you need to clean better than that use a product designed for it. I use Klear Screen.

Also many manufatures say never spray anythig directly on the screen. Spray it on the cloth than wipe. LCD are sooooooo delicate.

For CRTs you can use windex.

Collapse -
Don't Do Windex!

Some or most CRTs and LCDs--even some Plasmas--are layered with some kind of anti-reflectant or gloss. Using strong chemicals on these could damage the look, causing annoyance.

Or, Windex would just leave those rainbow streaks that everyone hates.

Use a damp microfiber cloth or similar...warm water, too.

Collapse -
dry microcloth

In reply to: Don't Do Windex!

Collapse -
Apple's website says 50:50 solution of rubbing alky+water

50:50 solution of rubbing alky+water is what I use, and it works fine.

Collapse -
This is the right way! NO WINDEX

In reply to: Apple's website says 50:50 solution of rubbing alky+water

50:50 ethanol(not beer)/water

definately the right way. i read in a forum that the stuff you can buy is just ethanol/water mix at whatever the ratio is.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yup.

In reply to: This is the right way! NO WINDEX

Collapse -
I'd just use a dry soft cloth.

I just generally use a soft cloth or a bit of tissue (and occasionally the corner of my (clean) t-shirt, bad I know!). If you need to use fluid make sure you put it on the cloth and I would imagine even just a slightly damp cloth would be enough to remove most gunk.

Whatever you do, never spray/apply cleaner directly your screen. Always apply it to a cloth first, then wipe the screen with the cloth. That way you avoid working fluid where it's not supposed to go.

Collapse -
thank you

these are all good methods, windex isn't available in the UK but we've also been told not to use window cleaning stuff. the water is drying quickly, it's about 1/2 gone - about 24 hours later.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) yes, use Klear Screen / iKlear

In reply to: thank you

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.