Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Notebook is getting very slow

by tcyw20 / May 16, 2008 12:17 PM PDT

I have been using a IBM T43 notebook for about 3 years. Recently, I found it is performing very slowly, so slow that I want to reformat the drive again.

Is there any explanation for my notebook to get very slow after using for sometime. Is there any remedy to it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook is getting very slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook is getting very slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / May 16, 2008 12:43 PM PDT

Well, one common problem is people using Internet Explorer, or some IE based browser, along with not keeping up with the security patches issued by Microsoft. Then one little misstep onto a compromised site, and your system is now the newest host to all sorts of fun spyware/malware.

Same basic deal if you use file sharing programs like Kazaa or Limewire. Probably 90% of the content on those networks contains some kind of virus or malware payload.

Those are two of the biggest causes... Internet Explorer and P2P program use.

Collapse -
JG Is Of Course Correct but In Addition....
by tobeach / May 16, 2008 3:40 PM PDT

given age of notebook, you may have a rather large accumulation of *temp
& other files like .dat that just keep on adding if you don't clean them out frequently/from time to time (depending on usage) w/ either built in disk cleanup or 3rd party item like CCleaner.
See my post (#24 of 30)on this page:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=217212&start=15

Additionally, system restore files can build to 12% of HD. If your machine is otherwise clean & ok, you can disable sys restore which will dump all existing points so you can start anew. Do this only if machine is running well.

You don't mention % of HD free, have you defragged regularly??Lately??

Have you changed to updated versions of existing programs like AV or dumped old ones & changed to another? Have you recently installed new program or patches (XP SP3)?
I'm generally finding new versions of programs are CONSIDERABLY larger than former versions (sometimes 4 times the size) assuming you have newer Vista spec machines to handle the size easily.

Hope something above rings a bell for your machine! Good Luck!! Grin

Collapse -
Thanks JG and Tobeach
by tcyw20 / May 16, 2008 11:58 PM PDT

I have Internet Explorer but Firefox is my default browser. No idea how to clear the caches of Firefox!

I don?t think I have any file sharing program. I tried to download cclean slim but the download file could not be used!

My HD is about 40% free! I have not installed new programs for sometime but about 2 months ago, the Windows Live Mail installed automatically and set up my Hotmail email accounts automatically!!!

Somehow, how to disable sys restore files?

Collapse -
Don't worry about it
by Jimmy Greystone / May 17, 2008 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks JG and Tobeach

Don't worry about it. Clearing out browser caches, temp files, etc are all things that don't really do anything, just like defragmenting. The people who swear by it tend to be the sort of people who have trouble figuring out how to turn a computer on, so not exactly the most reliable of sources.

Browser cache files are there primarily to improve browsing speed. Temp files are occasionally orphaned, but orphaned temp files don't have any real impact on system performance or stability, since to the operating system, they're no different from a program executable or that word processing document you were working on. And defragmenting only speeds up programs that are disk intensive, which rules out web browsers, email programs, office suites... Virtually every program your average computer user will be using on a regular basis will NOT be on the list of programs that benefit to any degree of significance from defragmenting.

Not to get too high on the soapbox, but half the people who swear by defragmenting also are under the mistaken impression it has some kind of diagnostic purpose. It doesn't. If some file is corrupted before defragmenting, it will STILL be corrupted after. If anything, defragmenting helps SPREAD filesystem corruption. If some particular sector on your hard drive is bad, and all data stored there becomes corrupted, then defragmenting might play musical chairs with that particular section, and corrupt a number of files. Unintentionally of course, not that it changes the outcome.

Collapse -
Lenovo laptops
by Steven Haninger / May 17, 2008 3:35 AM PDT

Turn off their automatic update service and make sure those related to their system recovery...especially their backup utility....are set to manual. AV programs reek havoc with laptops if they're set to scan your PC or check for updates at specific times and to do so automatically if that time is missed. What happens is, if you don't turn the laptop on regularly, these AV and update programs hog all your CPU cycles as soon as your desktop appears because they are behind schedule. I've also found that my IBM Thinkpad slows considerably with time and just needs a fresh restart. These are nice machines but do have their quirks.

Collapse -
I'm Surprised/Concerned That the CCleaner....
by tobeach / May 17, 2008 2:57 PM PDT

download was unusable....very unusual...did you use Firefox or IE to download?? Should be fine w/ either (I use Mozilla Sea Monkey myself).
Trying to think what could cause such...could your download manager be having a problem?? If so, that might also slow browsing. CC will find
FF on your machine & clear it's caches with each use along with Java caches. IF you have Java Byte Verify infection or other Temp file based infection, clearing the caches should get rid of it as long as you uncheck the "only temps older than.. setting.Please try Slim again. http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Choose "save" suggest to "My Documents". Once downloaded, right click scan w/ your AV just to be safe. Once off-line from NET,Please turn off your AV temporarily during install process to prevent any possible corruption.

Just double left click .Exe to install. I have had various versions of this on all 4 of my various machines (various OS's/Patch levels) & have never had a problem.

To clear Sys Restore Points: http://www.pchell.com/virus/systemrestore.shtml

40% free IS getting low...particularly if page file swapping is needed by XP to do some program's functions. Below a certain point, defraging becomes almost impossible due to low free space.

If you can, off-load some from HD onto CD or Flash storage drive
(2-4 gigs ones are quite cheap these days). Perhaps videos or large photo collection files. or programs you're keeping around but not actually installed/using could be stored there (USB).

Personally, I keep all my possible updaters on "Manual" rather than let them or Shed. Tasks handle them so as to be as free as possible when working & can do as time/ workload permits. Some of the auto updaters check every few minutes in the backgound!!

A system file check (SFC) shouldn't take too long & might correct any corrupted sys files.

I recently had a poster who "hadn't installed any new programs" BUT had in fact done so, without realizing that a new updated version of the existing program got installed as one of 10 items included in normal weekly update. New version conflicted with his machine specs & another resident protector program. Caused severe slow down & occasional "hangs". Reverted to older version & all was OK.

I have noticed that the amount of junk downloaded from Hotmail, which I have CC clean after each use, increased by 50% or more (even on just visiting Hotmail, seeing no new items,& leaving) AFTER installing NEW LIVE Hotmail at MS's prompting.

Which Version of Firefox & which Java Version have you currently got? Possible mismatch of the 2?? FF 2/3 require Java 6 not 5.
In Control Panel> Java cup plug-in Icon, check Browser Tab has check marks for BOTH IE & Mozilla FF browsers.

Hope of some help! Grin

Collapse -
Here's something I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 1:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
slow pc
by jimroad471 / May 18, 2008 1:35 AM PDT

One thing to check is "system restore" make sure it's set to "low". If it's set to max, you'll have daily restore points which slows system to drag.

Collapse -
No it doesn't
by Jimmy Greystone / May 18, 2008 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: slow pc

No it doesn't. System restore has no effect on system performance at all. Unless you fill the drive past 90% capacity, at which point all operating systems start to suffer from performance issues. Until that point however, it's going to have about zero impact on overall performance.

It's a complete and total myth that large numbers of files will slow the system down. It might slow access to a particular directory, and if the drive fills past about 90% capacity you might start suffering performance issues, but other than that, it has absolutely no bearing on performance.

Collapse -
Yes it does!!! Read the post!!!
by jimroad471 / May 18, 2008 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: No it doesn't

I said when you set Restore to MAX it will slow it down. Please read again.
Jim

Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / May 18, 2008 6:20 AM PDT

Yes, I read that, and I said it's a complete myth. I have no problem reading or understanding english. I'm saying there's absolutely nothing to back up the claim that setting system restore to "max" will have any negative effects on system performance.

Now, if you have any hard evidence to the contrary, that would be a different story. I would be quite interested in seeing that, and if it seems to contradict what I said, then I'll admit to being wrong. However, I'm not interested in anecdotal evidence, or hearsay. I want actual results compiled from actual tests, and more than that, I want a complete breakdown of the methodology used for gathering those results. After all, if I don't know how they arrived at a particular set of results, for all I know they just wrote down random numbers as they pleased. Find me at least two independent sources like that, which both say something different from me, and I'll be happy to admit I was wrong. Otherwise, I say all you have is highly circumstantial evidence, and you can't properly say that the effects you may or may not have directly observed aren't being incorrectly attributed to the system restore function.

So, until I see at least two independent studies, complete with methodology breakdowns, that clearly show otherwise, I am stating that system restore has no negative impact on performance, except for the two indirect, special case, scenarios I presented previously.

I will be anxiously awaiting your presentation of such evidence. Of course should you fail to do so, for whatever reason, one can only assume it's because you made your claim in error. I won't be holding it against you personally. While I was still learning about computers, I'm sad to say there were plenty of subject where I was completely full of it. At the time I thought I was right, but I wasn't. I think every "expert" has been there at some point or another.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?