Laptops forum

General discussion

Notebook hard drive upgrade

I have a Compaq Presario 2800 and am trying to upgrade my hard drive from a 30gb 4200rpm to a 60gb 5400 rpm. I bought a USB enclosure and cloned the existing drive using Norton Ghost 2003 but when I installed it into the computer and tried to start the machine, I got a "Non system disk or disk error" message. I looked at Ghost help and retried the whole process adding the command lines "-fdsp" and "-szee" but still had the same problem. Any suggestions for someone who really doesn't want to start from scratch as it will take days or weeks to re-create everything and there may be some software that I do not have CDs for anymore?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook hard drive upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook hard drive upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One thing.

In reply to: Notebook hard drive upgrade

Did you boot the laptop after the clone, but before putting the cloned drive into the laptop?

-> A nutty thing XP does is to mark other drives "non-bootable" when it starts up.

This has made a few scream when they learn this.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob

In reply to: One thing.

That was a mighty quick response. I think the computer automatically rebooted to Windows XP out of the Ghost DOS environment when the clone was finished. I then turned it off and swapped the cloned drive into the laptop and got the error. Are you suggesting that if I can avoid having it reboot after the clone, that it might work?

Collapse -
Just FYI.

In reply to: Thanks Bob

Mine doesn't reboot. Could be some setting, but I just use Ghost and haven't found it to reboot...

If this fails, look up ACRONIS trueimage. I think you can get it done with the demo but can't resize the volume.

Bob

Collapse -
Update drive???? Help

In reply to: Just FYI.

I've already try Ghost 8, Ghost 9 (XP environment) and even ACRONIS trueimage and have the same result, unbootable to with the clone drive. I've also tried to use to Backup drive to CD-RW feature of Ghost 9 but it only compressed my drive and partly burn the image file to CDs but did not make the 1st CD to be bootable, and Ghost 9 cannot work without Windows environment, thus when my Windows goes wrong, my set of backup CDs is unusable. Can you help me, BOB? How can I back up my drive to CD-Rs and restore when thing goes wrong? (Ghost in DOS can not be used for update drive, as my experience)
Thanks
LONG

Collapse -
Reverse the process.

In reply to: Update drive???? Help

1. The reboot is something I don't see Ghost 8 (dos) doing. Very odd. I can't tell if it's you.
-> Possible fix to avoid XP marking the volume unbootable? Set the BIOS to boot from CDROM or floppy and not the hard disks.

2. There are 2 other methods to move to a new laptop drive I use.
a. put the original hard disk into the usb enclosure and clone it into the laptop.
b. Get a pair of 2.5" hard disk apapters for a desktop and clone it in a desktop (this is the method I use.)

3. Chuck it all.
- Put in the new drive.
- Use the Recovery CDs.
- Use XP's File And Settings Transfer Wizard to pull over the files.

Bob

Collapse -
Update drive - this worked for me

In reply to: Update drive???? Help

I was unable to get the Ghost 2003 cloned drive to work in my laptop. I downloaded the demo version of Acronis True Image and cloned the drive. I had to watch the process closely. When it finished the cloning, the computer tried to reboot and I quickly turned it off and unplugged the external (new) drive. I then swapped the new drive into the laptop and it worked just fine. I could not figure out how to prevent Ghost or True Image from automatically rebooting at the end of the cloning process. From what I read, if you add the command line "-fdsp" without the quotes to a Ghost clone job, it will work but you probably have to be watching and prevent it from rebooting by quickly shutting down and disconnecting the cloned drive. I used Norton Partition Magic 8.0 to create and resize partitions on the new drive after putting it in the computer. I am not sure if this helps or not, but I finally solved my problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.