Computer Help forum

General discussion

Notebook Freezing (Ventrilo/AIM)

by CP66 / January 9, 2010 4:56 PM PST

So, I got my new laptop (ASUS G51VX) on Friday, and it was running smoothly up until I tried using AOL Instant Messenger for the first time (version 7.1 or whatever the newest version is). It locked up my lappy (I had to do a hard reboot) every time I tried to send an IM. I didn't really care, 'cause Trillian works just fine. Case closed.

However, yesterday when I installed Ventrilo ... upon connecting to the Vent server, each and every time, my lappy would freeze in the same exact manner. D'oh. Vent's a must.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (which had 33 updates when I booted up my lappy for the first time), and I've tried both the 32 and 64-bit versions of the Vent client. Oh, and my internet connection is wired. So it's not a WiFi issue. Or a firewall issue.

These are the only two programs that have given me any trouble. If anyone can offer some advice, or at least tell me what those two pieces of software have in common, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook Freezing (Ventrilo/AIM)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook Freezing (Ventrilo/AIM)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you mean
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 8:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Yes
by CP66 / January 9, 2010 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: Do you mean

Yes, that's the Ventrilo I'm referring to.

Upon finding yet another glitch -- namely that I can't view the Ease of Access menu in the Windows 7 login screen without the notebook freezing in the same manner (and that these problems don't occur in safe mode w/networking) I'm starting to think this is an issue with bad RAM or something.

Ugh.

Collapse -
Same problem
by raveryne / March 12, 2010 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

Same problem with my new asus laptop running windows 7 64 bit. Only i'm not even running any IM clients i just need Vent to work for Warcraft. Not to thrilled since this thing is brand new and I can't find an answer anywhere as to why it locks up totally when I try to transmit via ventrilo and also occasionally when I mess with settings in the program. All i've found so far is that Asus can sometimes come with two different drivers (say soundblaster and realtek) which complicate one another and cause a freeze. I removed soundblaster as mentioned in some thread off in a tech forum but am still having the same issues you are. Hope this bumps the thread back to active as it doesn't seem you got an answer and i'm completely at a loss as to what's going on.

Collapse -
Easy fix, thankfully.
by CP66 / March 12, 2010 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

Hi.

It would seem that ASUS factory-installs extraneous Sound Blaster software, and the conflict between that and the Realtek software results in unfortunate lock-ups.

Simply go to the Control Panel and uninstall the Sound Blaster software from the program list.

Enjoy the notebook ... and here's hoping you never have to deal with ASUS customer support!

Collapse -
Oh.
by CP66 / March 12, 2010 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I guess I should have read your post more carefully. Sorry.

Well, yes, getting rid of the Sound Blaster software solved it for me. However, I also did a roll-back on the Realtek driver first.

Try that?

Collapse -
Fixed. Thanks all!
by raveryne / March 13, 2010 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Oh.

Yup it most definitely was soundblaster and realtek fighting with each other.. Uninstalled soundblaster and updated the realtek driver. Everything works fine now. Thanks to everyone who helped, its much appreciated.

Collapse -
Expensive ASUS Laptop Freezes Up with AOL or AIM
by Pontiac1830 / May 15, 2010 5:18 AM PDT

My new $1,100 G73J 17" latest & greatest gaming ASUS laptop freezes when running AOL or AIM. I read your post below and it sounds very logical.

It does have soundblaster software installed (but the speakers suck so bad that the software is useless) (including the "subwoofer' under the front LOL).

I'm going uninstall it and see if that does the trick. If not, I guess I'll be back. Thanks for your help. Usually pretty good. And free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.