Laptops forum

General discussion

Notebook Anti-glare Monitor Screens

by bertke / April 10, 2007 4:03 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook Anti-glare Monitor Screens
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook Anti-glare Monitor Screens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why No Message Body?
by bertke / April 10, 2007 5:09 AM PDT

I don't understand why this message wasn't in the body of the original posting.

How do I find the notebook computers with anti-glare monitor screens?

The Shoppers Guide ranks notebook monitors by size. Monitor type should also be available as a selection criteria. Apparently this year the big shift is to the high contrast monitors with the shiny highly reflective face. Yesterday I returned a new HP dv6263cl notebook with what HP calls their HD BrightView (Dell calls theirs "TrueLife") monitor screen. The performance and features on that notebook were great except for the fact the glare off the screen made it virtually impossible to use the unit comfortably/effectively in anything other than a darkened room. My wife often uses her current notebook outdoors or on a sun porch. Trying to use the new notebook in these environments caused her eye strain and a headache. I have subsequently learned from HP that all of their notebooks now come with this BrightView screen.

I am planning to buy a new notebook but I need to be able to identify one with an anti-glare screen.

Collapse -
Options
by Igiveup2 / April 10, 2007 7:31 AM PDT

Matte screens are available on off-the-shelf business laptops. You can also get matte screens on custom-built consumer laptops ordered directly from Dell, HP, Toshiba, and probably others.

Collapse -
My Shopping Experience
by bertke / April 10, 2007 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Options

I must be missing something here. I've looked high and low an the HP web site and have been unable to find any consumer laptops (either custom-built or off-the-shelf) with anything other than the glossy BrightView screens.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Brand&v1=HP+Pavilion#CTO_CAN

There are some non-BrightView screen notebooks available on office notebooks but they start close to $2K and are limited on such things as HD's at 80 GB. I really can't go above the lower $1K price range.

I similarly was unable to find anything on Dell's web site that didn't have their glossy TrueLife screens.

I would surely appreciate it if any would have any links that I have been missing.

Tnx.

Collapse -
That's a bummer about HP.
by Igiveup2 / April 10, 2007 4:00 PM PDT
In reply to: My Shopping Experience

Don't know why they dropped the option.

You have to drill down in the Dell website to find the matte screen option for the Inspiron series custom builds.

Matte screen options are available for Toshiba Satellite and Tecra series custom builds.

Matte screen options are available for Lenovo 3000 series in limited configurations.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.