Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Note-taking for academic

by jennywren1420 / March 3, 2009 9:38 AM PST

My daughter is coming to the Mac side (my son-in-law came over last summer). She has previously used FileMaker for the PC for her virtual index cards--that is, for taking notes and keeping other information for her books and articles and other academic purposes. FileMaker really isn't the best for the purpose, and she's hoping that there may be some fellow academics among you who have encountered this situation. She is over her head in work and has asked me to present the question to you. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Jenny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Note-taking for academic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Note-taking for academic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check out Evernote, Circus Ponies Notebook, MindMaps
by PatHaleMIT / March 13, 2009 11:46 AM PDT

Evernote (www.evernote.com) does a terrific job of capturing all kinds of information and can be organized to keep notes for a particular course together. Circus Ponies Notebook is a more notebook-like organizing principle, and creates an index automatically. If you think graphically, Mind Mapping is a terrific way to go, and there are several great mindmapping applications for the Mac--enjoy!

Collapse -
Personal Wiki
by vmedlock / March 13, 2009 1:38 PM PDT

Another solution is ZuluPad. It's basically a desktop wiki (think Wikipedia) that works much like traditional notes. However, as you enter notes, the software creates links to other pages that you've already entered. Basically, it should make all your information on a given topic or keyword more accessible. The program probably isn't perfect, but a wiki definitely is worth considering for academic note-taking purposes.

Collapse -
Tablet PC and OneNote
by waytron / March 13, 2009 7:32 PM PDT

Many academics find the ideal platform for note taking is combining a Tablet PC such a Fujitsu or Motion with Microsoft OneNote. You can use the tablet pen to write your notes, draw diagrams and pictures and even dictate verbal information. If you spend a lot of time writing and trying to organize notes, this is a great way to go. Also you will not annoy everyone with the sound of typing in class either.

Collapse -
??
by drmht / March 14, 2009 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Tablet PC and OneNote

The girl wants a Mac solution and you're recommending a PC running a MS app??

Collapse -
The best Option
by waytron / March 14, 2009 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

Sorry, but when someone is looking for the solution to a problem, I just want to make sure they are aware of what the absolute superior option would be. It does not matter what platform you are on, when it comes to note taking, nothing beats the abilities of a tablet computer and being able to use a pen. So until they come up with a direct connection to your brain this is the best option.

Besides how often do you Macheads pop into a Windows forum answering every question with buy a MAC?

Collapse -
Notebook
by onemoremile / March 14, 2009 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: The best Option

I think that if she wanted to hand write her notes, she would spend a couple of dollars on a spiral notebook and be done with it!

Lest you think that I am speaking with no knowledge, I use a notebook computer every day at work. I am unimpressed with OneLook. Any of the applications that I cited in my other post would be superior for a college student taking notes.

Collapse -
whatever
by waytron / March 14, 2009 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Notebook

I can not attest to your computer knowledge but it is obvious that you have never used a Tablet Computer with any form of note taking software. I am sure that once MAC comes out with a Tablet, you will probably change your mind.

Collapse -
Ignorance
by onemoremile / March 14, 2009 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: whatever

Perhaps I was not clear. I have OneNote on a Fujitsu tablet computer, which I use every day at work. I also have SoHo, which I run on a Mac that I own. I have extensive experience with both. I stand by my statements.

By the way, tell us about your extensive experience using note taking software on the Mac platform. Since you know what is best, you must be an expert. Which Mac programs have you used?

Collapse -
Non-Sequitur
by drmht / March 14, 2009 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Ignorance

You can stand on your head if you like. It doesn't change the fact that your recommendation is non-responsive.

Personally, I think that a Tablet is the ideal form factor for note taking in a lecture hall. But neither my Tablet preference nor yours is relevant, within the constraints of the OP's request.

Collapse -
Every Day?
by waytron / March 14, 2009 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Ignorance

Wow! You use a computer everyday? You must be the expert! I surrender...

Collapse -
The best Option
by drmht / March 14, 2009 6:31 AM PDT

Machead, Schmachead...the OP asked for a Mac solution. If his daughter was looking for a PC app to replace FileMaker, he would've posted a different question in a different forum. Period.

Collapse -
Whatever?
by drmht / March 14, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

You're missing (ignoring?) the point: While the "best" solution for *this particular application* may very well Tablet-based, the user has?for "whatever" her reasons (which likely are many)?already decided to migrate to a Mac, and is looking for software that will run on a Mac.

Collapse -
Bento
by onemoremile / March 14, 2009 1:09 AM PDT

FileMaker actually makes a very well-reviewed product called Bento, which is their consumer database product for the Mac. It may be a very elegant solution that will allow a comfortable transition for your daughter. The web site is http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/overview.html?csr=bento_overview

Notebook, http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/overview.html?csr=bento_overview , is another product that is built just for your daughter's needs.

I use SohoNotes, which is very powerful and can do everything that any student would need. That product is incredibly powerful. The site is http://www.chronosnet.com/Products/sohonotes.html

Have her try the demos and see which one she likes best.

Good luck!
Dave

Collapse -
Sorry Jenny.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

The lock is because the thread is headed south. Let's hope you found something you can use.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?