Samsung forum

Question

Note 10.1 2014 3rd party video players fullscreen MHL?

by 1indio1 / February 2, 2014 1:02 AM PST

Because of a snafu with the Note 8's version of Android, mirroring to TV through MHL is note the correct aspect ratio - sides are cropped off - little blacks bars at top.

The stock android player mirrors video perfectly fullscreen but has crappy codec support - and thus is useless to me. All third party players like MX Players are similarly cropped.

So, before I buy the Note 10.1, I need to know if it's version of android shares this problem. Specifically, I want to know if third party players mirror perfectly fullscreen?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Note 10.1 2014 3rd party video players fullscreen MHL?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Note 10.1 2014 3rd party video players fullscreen MHL?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
By definition, fail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 1:09 AM PST

The Note 10.1 2014 looks to have a 2560 by 1600 display so any mirror when resized to 1080p would be incorrect.

Right out the gate "MIRROR" would fail to deliver what you are after.

I'm unsure how long you've been around Android but codec support is growing but there's a reason why it is not on par with say VLC Player. I can't tell if you know why but let's hear from you if you know why. Why?
Bob

Collapse -
No
by 1indio1 / February 2, 2014 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: By definition, fail.

No. I have an MHL adapter. All my questions pertain to "MHL".

Collapse -
MHL would fail for the noted reason.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: No

Any mirror of the display would result in what you are complaining about.

As this is a fact, why keep this one?
Bob

Collapse -
For which model?
by 1indio1 / February 2, 2014 4:05 AM PST

The Note 8? Note 10.1 2014?

Primarily, I only care about 3rd party video playback. Will MX Player, or BSPlayer be cropped or fullscreen?

I was told by samsung (when I finally got a response) that this problem was endemic to the Note 8's Android version. I keep my Note 8 in hopes of a future Kitkat upadate. My nexus 7 with Kitkat mirrors video perfectly with displayport.

Collapse -
The one in your topic. Note 10.1 2014
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: For which model?

I took it that the topic is Note 10.1 2014 and checked the numbers and found that "mirror" would result in your complaint. It's a shame that no one at the maker's support will share you why this is and leaves you thinking it can be fixed.
Bob

Collapse -
displayport - "slimport"
by 1indio1 / February 2, 2014 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: For which model?

displayport - "slimport"

Collapse -
I did the math for you on the Note 8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 4:25 AM PST

You can re-do the math on the 10. But mirroring is going to be a miss on that too unless I got the wrong numbers.

There's a reason to ignore mirroring today. I don't mirror for the reasons you state here. I use things like ChromeCast, AppleTV and things I can play to. Mirroring requires exact pixel or aspect ratio matches.

You can imagine your average consumer may explode on the detail.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Note 8 display is 1280 x 800
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 4:22 AM PST

So does that scale up to 1080 without any bars?

1080p is accepted to be `1920 by 1080` http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p so at 1 to 1 scale mirroring this should show bars top, bottom left and right. Let's see what happens if you scale the height from 800 to 1080 lines. That has us multiple the 800 times 1.35. OK the height is OK now. 1.35 times 1280 is 1728 so that's a miss by about 200 pixels.

Proof positive that mirroring is not going to be without bars or distortion.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?