Computer Help forum

General discussion

not Win32 Appl download prob, Vista sp1

by Marcia98360 / September 5, 2008 5:20 PM PDT

I'm tired, I'm grumpy, and this is about the 4th or 5th group I've gotten a free membership to today in an attempt to safely get rid of my 7 quarantined malware items. I'm not acomplished but, I am starting to again run a steep learning curve. It has not been so steep as to be able to adequately run cnet's search engine adequately to find an answer. What I do know is that I am certainly not the first person within the entire database of all forum questions to have the same/equivalent problem; it seems as if most of them were running XP though. My inquisitive nature is dwindling down and my patience is not what it was this morning so - I started a new thread by gosh by golly.

My Trend Micro, updated and run daily lately, quarantined some malware that certainly sounds less than desireable after I joined Trend Micro and looked a couple up in their virus database. From there, I went to HijackThis where I joined, downloaded, ran, got a log file, and ultimately linked to BleepingComputer. I joined BleepingComputer and started to follow their HijackThis instructions and links for resolving problems identified in the HijackThis log file. That led me to lavasoftusa.com for their Ad_aware 2007 Free software. Which linked me to cnet.com for the actual download of the file aaw2008.exe using cnet's download.com; which didn't download.

The first time, I used the SAVE function or is it button? The software is Ad_aware 7.1.0.8, file name aaw2008.exe, 18.2MB, from software-files.download.com. Upon downloading, I clicked on the OPEN FOLDER option and when asked if I was sure if I wanted to run, clicked on RUN. At which point, I quickly received the following:

C:\...<dir_tree>...aaw2008.exe is not a valid Win 32 application

So, I did check Control Panel - Programs... to ensure myself nothing had gotten installed; nothing showed. The window that had the OPEN FOLDER popup on it was still on the screen complete with an aaw2008.exe file icon. I left clicked the icon to select it, right clicked the icon to bring up the properties window, then clicked on Delete.

Then, I found my way back to the download page on Cnet and tried again with the RUN option. Almost immediately, I got another "not a Win32 application" error of some type....This did not stop me from clicking through one more time just to make sure.

I have now joined Cnet and after looking at a couple of article type things, ended up discovering a link for reporting download errors to Cnet developer types. I now have a referene number in addition to a user id. As mentioned above, I was sucessful having the search engine to return posts; yes, I sure had a lot of data. But, I wasn't able to get information out of it. Which brings us to this post.

NOTE: The BleepingComputer instructions call for about 5 more downloads, updates for some of them, and even more scans than that. And, I think that a number of the downloads are going to endup being actualy performed by Cnet; certainly Cnet offers the software.

Please help me get my download(s)....I'm starting to feel like Oliver Twist; only my bowl is not empty, it's filled with free memberships.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: not Win32 Appl download prob, Vista sp1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: not Win32 Appl download prob, Vista sp1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your issue sounds like...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 12:09 AM PDT

A download accelerator is installed. These can corrupt the download and cause posts like yours.

Collapse -
...and how do I ID my download accellerators??
by Marcia98360 / September 6, 2008 1:40 PM PDT

...so the real question is, how do I identify my download accellerator(s)? But, my concern is could it/them come in part as a fuction of the very same malware I'm tyring to get rid of?

Towards known downloads, I have done the Microsoft Windows update thing. I have done the Trend Micro upgrades which began with my boxed copy directing me to download s/w to my desktop; I've pretty much done dailies since then directly from their web site. I have done the VZAcess, my versizon wireless card/modem, updates. I think the system only did a single update when I had the previous modem and nothing since I've gotten the new, upgraded model, replacement; long story but, the Toshibia repair center has assertained the the USB plug/slots are in good working order and I am up to date with the BIOS s/w. I have done the Toshiba updates.

Where I ran into troubles with respect to updates was the Adobe updates on 01SEP08 and 02SEP08. I never did get Adobe Reader9. I did do an uninstall and install of all known Adobe related products, including a product called getPLUS(T), and a system restore to get back my Adobe Reader 8.?. In terms of the other Adobe related products, I have the latest and ?greatest? of the following: Flash Player, Shockwave, AIR1.1, and Adobe Media Player. Somewhere in the mix, I lost the getPLUS(T) s/w; loss of the getPLUS(T) was the most recent problem in download the Adobe Reader9 s/w. I think I saw it/some of it out there but it is not among my Control Panel listed items; I use that most powerful Vista START-SEARCH feature all the time but without much realization of where all I'm going. Could any of these things include/be a download accellerator?

On 04SEP08 I got some malware. It is supposedly quarantined but, from what I've sort of read, it does attempt to get past firewalls and other security features. From what I remember of what read, it attempts to do some reporting and in that process may or may not attempt to download items. I have scanned frequently and have not come up with new bugs etc...

My controls and security measures were reasonably tight to the best of my knowledge and I've tried to tighten it up some more today. I did have troubles with a shutdown and memory dump. And, I'm not styaing on line very well or long.

Theroretically, couldn't I go to someone else's "clean" computer, download some of the scanning software as SAVE, copy to CD, copy from CD to my desktop, then install from there? - That is if I can get someone to do this for me at this point. - I assume that I would still have to deal with my accellerator problems before I could go beyond copying the files.

Now, I'm on the path to working out my HijackThis questions. The software and log file have seemed to have dissappeared from my system. I can no longer locate it with that all powerful START-SEARCH routine. I'm on my way to see if it has something like a 24 hour installation time frame with an auto clean/delete feature. - I joined the HijackThis group along my travels yesterday so, I'll try to get to them before I have to go to work this evening.

Collapse -
"malware"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 11:50 PM PDT

That's a long discussion in itself. So let cut to what I do. I don't bother downloading on the afflicted machine. I download on my good machine, put the download on USB memory stick or CDR and then take it to the sick machine.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.