General discussion

Not very Astute.

It is the UK's newest and most sophisticated nuclear submarine, called Astute.

It has the most modern technology, including rubber tiles to reduce it's sonar signature to the barest minimum, making it virtually invisible to the enemy.

It has sophisticated electronics that make it one of the most advanced submarines in service now.

It has sonar that can scan for up to 3000 miles.

Unfortunately it seems, this same sonar cannot see below it less than a few feet. It was grounded in shallow water whilst on trials! Happy

http://news.scotsman.com/getEdFrontImage.aspx?ImageID=469593

BBC article Nuclear submarine HMS Astute runs aground off Skye.

May be the sonar needs glasses for near-vision?

It looks like the nuclear reactor has failed as well. Looking at the image and the steam pouring out of the funnel, it looks like they have reverted back to the trusty old steam engine.

Ahh well, someone's going to get it in the neck when the Royal navy holds it's enquiry.

Mark

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Not very Astute.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Not very Astute.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
while its sonar system has a range of 3,000 nautical miles

Information overload?

- Collapse -
nuclear engines are really quite simple

Shield rods when you want them cooler, unshield when you want to create heat, then make steam to run the actual engine.

- Collapse -
I need to check the way back machine,

But when I saw the news headlines for that story earlier I thought they said that it was an American sub !!

- Collapse -
Sadly no, definitely British.

Ohh, the shame! Happy

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info