Cameras forum

General discussion

Not sure which DSLR to purchase....

by bharath21 / February 13, 2010 11:19 PM PST

Hi..I am taking my first step towards purchasing a DLSR. I'm pretty much clear it would either be a NIKON or CANON..but not sure which model? please advice/help me choosing one....

However,
During my research i once received an advice - to go for an entry level SLR & focus on the quality of lens i would purchase....(over a period of time based on my field of interest)......the camera body can alwaly be upgraded ............
.....following this tip & allocating around 50,000/- in INR, as my budget at the beginner level-- the few models that i have seen in this range are ---
"Canon1000D/500D" & "Nikon D5000/D3000"....but not sure if i'm on the right tract yet?...or if their is something better that i have missed noticing......

Appreciate if anyone could guide me on how to go about..or which one i should look at purchasing..

Thanks in advance..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not sure which DSLR to purchase....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not sure which DSLR to purchase....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
many choices
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / February 14, 2010 2:47 AM PST

There are other great cameras from other manufacturers, but Canon and Nikon have the best system. Now looking at the system you have to make the decision of which one is best for your needs. Take for instance, if you plan to do a lot of multi-flash or off-camera flash shooting then I'd go the Nikon route.

The only one out of that group that I would not buy is the D3000. It uses a sensor that does not perform as well in higher ISOs, along with the fact that it does not have a focusing motor in body. The D5000 also doesn't have a focusing motor in-body, but has a great sensor. It really depends on what type of lens that you plan on buying if you should buy an entry level Nikon. If many of the lens you want can't autofocus on the Nikon D3000 and D5000 then that'd be a problem, but if all the lens you want already have focusing motors in them then there's no problem at all.

Last but not least, go in and try all the models in the store and get a feel for which one you like best.

Collapse -
You can go wrong with either brand
by jump1127 / February 14, 2010 4:38 PM PST

Owning both Nikon and Canon DSLR, Canon is better toward portrait shooting regard the skin tone. Nevertheless, Nikon is better for landscape and macro photography type consider the more vivid color and sharpness. But, it's quite difficult to tell which camera used after photoshop processing.

Currently, I'd say that Nikon beat Canon over better light metering, more accurate focusing, and better flash system. Canon beat Nikon over the MP sensor ( Nikon has Sony manufactured its camera's sensor ). There's no absolute better camera. More megapixel doesn't always mean the better picture quality, but enlarging output. So, try the camera. Figure out what you'll shoot for and what your budget is. Good luck.

Collapse -
Camera and gears
by hjfok / February 14, 2010 6:01 PM PST

As you may have read from many different posts, the person behind the camera is the single most decisive element in determining the quality of the photo, not the equipment. The camera and lenses are tools that help you to get the shot you need. Nikon and Canon both have excellent D-SLR systems, you can't go wrong with either one. Which one is better is not quite relevant to an average user, since their performance difference will not account for the lack of image quality. It is usually the lack of knowledge and skill of the photographer that cause the photographic mistake or suboptimal result.

In looking for your gears, you need to know your budget and type of photography you want to pursue. Lens selection and accessories needed usually depend on what you want to shoot. For low light action, you obviously need fast lens with wide apertures and image stablization. For portraits, you will need same kind of lenses and external flashes/strobes, backdrops, etc. You should read some books about the type of photography you want to pursue, and find out what kind of gears you need. Then do a price comparison between manufacturers and see what may fit your budget. Getting the gears you need is more important than buying which brand of camera.

Nikon and Canon are both very good, there have been debates over years which one is better for what. But you can always find some great pro photos in every category by both camera manufacturers from entry level to pro series. There is one article about 2 pros doing real life hands-on comparison of the Nikon D3s and Canon 1D Mark IV, commenting about the slight high ISO advantage of the Nikon and the slightly better AF performance of the Canon. But you also have other pros with different opinions. The bottom line is that the difference is small and very subjective, most of them are biased and not scientific tests, thus not conclusive.

Technologies will change year after year, and you will find yesterday's top notch gears fade in comparison to the mid range gears of today's hot picks. So don't worry too much about whether you got the best gears or not, because you will never get the best gears year after year, unless you have an unlimited budget to feed your obession.
Instead find out what you need and think about how each item can enhance your photography.

I have met a famous landscape photographer whose work hung in Clinton's Oval Office during his presidency. He graciously shared his photographic experience with me after I spent more than two Nikon D3s for one of his original work. He uses large format cameras for his professional landscape shots, work with a team of pros to get to the perfect spot, endured days to weeks of natural elements to wait for the perfect light to capture the shot. One shot he hung off the cliff with a safety belt around his waist hoisted by his team, carrying his heavy large format camera, risking his life for a perfect shot. One shot can take him months to plan and to acquire. So a perfect shot is the result of a talented photographer with vision, knowledge, dedication and endurance. When someone asked him about which camera he used, he smiled and told him that he used his old favorite camera and lenses (neither a Canon nor a Nikon).

Collapse -
Totally agreed with hjfok
by jump1127 / February 15, 2010 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: Camera and gears

Last year, I read a book, called " Waiting for the light " photographed and editted by David Noton. If you'll get a chance to come by, I strongly recommend the book. The person behind the camera matters most for a good picture. Landscape lighting is something very demanding on 80 % luck and 20 % patience. David Noton waited for at least a year, just to get 4 pictures right into his book.

For landscaping, you can't control mother nature. For instance famous Ansel Adam, he waited for nearly 2 decades just to get a few pictures that really pleased him. Life was more difficult with SLR film camera. Joe McNally is also another example. You'll realize how hard and much control he has had for each shot from film to digital era. So, getting a good picture, you have to work really hard for it. Camera is just a tool. Get a start on, good luck.

Collapse -
Luck and photo opportunity
by hjfok / February 16, 2010 2:39 AM PST

Agree with Jump. You definitely need a lot of luck to get a glimsp into nature's hidden beauty or to unlock nature's secrets. But having luck does not mean that you are able to grasp the opportunity. I have heard many people complaining that the successful always gets the luck. But it takes a trained eye, a prepared mind, a lot of patience and dedication, and sometimes also skilled hands to realize that nature's luck has shone upon you and react to grasp the opportunity. This is true for everything in life. Success is built on a mountain of failures, as seen in many famous tales like those of Isaac Newton's discovery of gravity, Marie Curie's discovery of her radioactive isotopes, Roentgen's discovery of X ray, Watson and Crick's discovery of the double helix, etc.

This is also true for the photography masters as jump mentioned. There are people who use satellite and computer analysis to find out the exact location and alignment of the sun, moon and constellations to recreate Ansel Adam's landscape photos. They finally found the exact same opportunity and took the photo, but none of them turn out to be anything like Ansel Adam because they lack his vision, photographic knowledge and skill to capture the moment.

Sorry to be philosophical. So have fun and practice a lot, and get prepared for the occasional perfect opportunities and snap the perfect shots.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.