Computer Help forum

General discussion

not sure what to do

by LAG / January 28, 2009 11:40 AM PST

I'm running XP Pro on an older computer. I use Advanced SystemCare and under 'utilities' found 'update drivers'. I've never heard of updating drivers, nor do I even know what a driver is?????
My question....is this a safe utility to use?
Thanks....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: not sure what to do
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: not sure what to do
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is Something Broken?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: not sure what to do

As to updating drivers, "if it ain't broke"...don't fix it.. Drivers allow the computer hardware to function correctly with the operating system and software installed on it. Graphics cards have drivers.. So do the motherboard/chipset.. So does the audio card. If everything is working fine, then I see no reason to update the driver.

Unfortunately, such optimization programs and registry cleaners can cause more problems than they fix. We seen a number of problems with such programs on these forums.. Be careful about following the program's suggestions blindly.. Know EXACTLY what it's doing before jumping in with both feet.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Nothing's broken, just slow
by LAG / January 28, 2009 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: Is Something Broken?

Thanks for the response. Since my computer is getting on in years I just figured that maybe a driver update was either necessary or important. I'm always overly cautious about trying anything new, especially when I don't know what I'm doing. Maybe that's why this computer has lasted so long.
One thing I do know is that my virtual memory is always running low but I'm wondering if getting more Ram is possible seeing that my computer was last updated in '05, and of course, adding even one component led to another and another just because they wouldn't be compatible. I'm guessing that adding Ram now might not compatible either anymore.
I keep my computer very clean and it's really giving me no problems other than slowing down a lot. Do you think I'd be able to get more Ram now that would be compatible or have parts changed that drastically? I love my XP, don't want Vista and really can't afford a new computer. I run Spyware, Malware, Ccleaner, AVG....and only use this computer for personal use. Do you think there's any updates, especially ram, that would be compatibe at this stage?
Thanks....Not sure, but I think I have the minimum amount of ram right now.

Collapse -
Virtual memory
by anmor / January 28, 2009 2:25 PM PST

is not ram, it is space on your hard drive that Windows uses for temporary storage.
If this messgage came from Windows, you may be low on space on your hard drive.
If it's coming from Advanced SystemCare, I would ingnore it. It's possible this program has increased the virtual ram to be used to a larger amount then reccomended by Windows.
If hdd space is getting low check to see if there is anything that you can copy to cd/dvd or dispose of and if you havn't already done it empty the recyle bin. Files in tmp directories can be deleted.
As for getting more ram for that computer, I don't think it's worth it.

Collapse -
hard drive
by LAG / January 28, 2009 2:41 PM PST
In reply to: Virtual memory

The message does come from Windows, but my hard drive has only about 1/4 used, 3/4 still available?

Collapse -
I See No Mention Of How Much RAM You Have??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 3:50 AM PST

As to updating RAM, it depends. If you've already got a lot of RAM, then adding a little won't help much.. On the other hand, if your computer has minimal amounts of RAM, then adding some might be worthwhile. For example, we have 6 older, Dell Windows XP computers here that were originally purchased with 256 MB of PC133 RAM.. They also have recently been getting a low Virtual Memory warning.. I was able to find a closeout deal on PC133 RAM, and although it only added another 256 MB to each computer, the added RAM helped substantially.. Obviously, the performance increase wasn't huge, but it was quite noticeable.

One note: In addition to adding a little more RAM, I went over each computer and uninstalled unneeded programs and eliminated unnecessary startup programs and services from one as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
not much ram
by LAG / January 29, 2009 8:38 AM PST

I have an AMD Sempron Processor 2500+ 1.4 GHz, 192 MB ram, not a whole lot I guess?
I've stopped a lot of programs from running at startup and uninstalled some software like Windows Defender because having it run in the background really slowed things down.
If I open the task manager, the 2 biggest 'users' are Explorer and AVG.
My last computer update was 4 years ago, just about everything needed changing so that all parts would be compatible. It's only really slowed down in the last 6 months or so, most noticeably when I have my Outlook Express open and messenger. Anything added to that eg. a game or listening to music brings it to a crawl.
I use Spyware Blaster, Ccleaner, Advanced Systemcare (free) and Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
Think that about sums it up, still lots of room on my hard drive.
Thanks...

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, More RAM Would Certainly Help..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: not much ram
Collapse -
192 MB is very thin ice
by Steven Haninger / January 29, 2009 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: not much ram

XP likes more and runs quite happily in 1 gig for most purposes. Your virtual memory or "page file" is configured by Windows based on the amount of physical RAM you have and it doesn't allocate more HD space because RAM size is small. In fact, it does the opposite. Go figure. I suspect that if you bumped your RAM to 1 gig you'd see quite a noticeable change in performance and considerably less hard drive activity.

Collapse -
Then more ram.....
by LAG / January 29, 2009 9:14 AM PST

Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?