Desktops forum

General discussion

Not so happy with this PC Anymore .......

by Willsnothappy / December 31, 2008 5:13 PM PST

Well to start us off, Hi I'm Will. (okay now that thats over)

I own a DELL dimension 8250 Desktop from ....... 2001? Anyways, the ram in this PC is outdated, for those who want to know what it is it's Rambus ram. Not only that but with my dell, and many others im sure, my sound card is an integrated sound card. Not putting dell down or anything, I mean i like this dell and all, but I do some multimedia stuff, and right here lately it's just not cutting it. So with all this being said. I feel I must upgrade PC's, I like XP and I want to keep it, so a custom build is a must for me. I want some opinions on what to get, recommendations rather. So feel free to link me to things and all .......

Will

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not so happy with this PC Anymore .......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not so happy with this PC Anymore .......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Visit online stores
by Willy / December 31, 2008 11:27 PM PST

Yes, you're Dell 8250 is dated, its time to move on. Understand, you'll won't be able to re-use the XP OS as that's Dell suited only.

Goto these and others for pricing and what's available:

http://www.tigerdirect.com
http://www.newegg.com
http://www.geeks.com
Any of the other OEM type websites, like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.. Beware, mot new systems are Vista loaded. If you go custom, XP is still optionable or buy your own disc.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Slow comp!
by Willsnothappy / January 1, 2009 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Visit online stores

Yeah I've been on tigerdirect.com these past few days lol, I definitely don't want an company brand (HP/Compaq, Dell, gateway, ....etc) But I do however like XP to the fullest extent.

I do know the new windows wont be out till late 09 (From what I have read) Im not into vista at all ......... the motherboard I looked at had a Quad core Intel on it that ran at 2.4GHz ....... this new build will be interesting.

Collapse -
Build for Vista, install XP
by TechConfidence / January 1, 2009 5:08 AM PST

The upcoming Windows 7 will be based on Vista, so build your system with Vista-compatible parts and lots of RAM. That way, you can install XP if you prefer it (I love Vista myself), but still be prepared to upgrade later if you want.

If you do multimedia work, be sure to get a video card and a monitor with HDCP. If you can afford it, grab a Blu-Ray drive, too. That way, you'll have full HD playing capability.

At least 2 GB of RAM is a must. If you're using XP, you may want to stay away from 64-bit computing, so don't bother with more than 3 GB.

Many multimedia apps are multi-threaded, so a dual- or quad-core processor makes sense. However, I believe XP Home may be limited to 2 cores, so you might consider getting a faster dual-core instead of a quad-core. (Or, alternately, go with a quad core and get XP Pro.)

If you have a good backup scheme and a willingness to reinstall everything if needed, I might recommend getting two hard drives (something like the WD Caviar SE or the Seagate equivalent) and putting them in RAID 0. This means the two drives are combined for greater speed and capacity. However, if either drive fails, you lose everything on both drives. So, higher risk, but high reward. Many motherboards have built-in RAID 0 support.

Best of luck with the new build!

Regards,
TC

Collapse -
OEM
by repete_smile / January 3, 2009 6:13 AM PST

If you want to custom install XP, get an OEM disk
they are cheaper
since you've been using the machine for 8 years, I assume your familiar with it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.