General discussion

Not red eye, but pets glowing yellow eyes

I have a beautiful white Himalayian Cat who is very photogenic but Im having trouble correcting her eyes. They arent red, they are glowing yellow, basically like a light bulb, I understand its from the flash but I cant take pics of her inside without it. I have a Konica Minolta Dimage Z10, I run Windows Vista Home Premium and I have been using Paint Shop Pro 8. I have tried the red eye fix on that but I cant get them to look natural, can anyone recommend any software that will fix the eyes easilly and so they will look natural. I can send pic if it would help.
Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Not red eye, but pets glowing yellow eyes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Not red eye, but pets glowing yellow eyes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm not a photographer, but

I decided to find out what causes 'red-eye' in flash photography. Interestingly I found a simple but effective, (in my view), answer here in the CNET Forums;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=10801&messageID=123998#123998

It seems that the red-eye is caused because the pupil is wide open when the flash goes off, and the light from the flash reflects back off the retina which is full of blood vessels. With digital cameras this problem is exaggerated because the flash is so close to the lens of the camera when the photo is taken. It seems many professional photographers counteract this by having a separate flash gun offset from the camera itself. Then the light doesn't reflect directly back into the camera lens so much.

You can't do that with your own digital camera unless you want to invest in additional equipment, but perhaps you could minimise the wide open pupil by making sure there is plenty of background light in the room when you take a picture, or take your picture when your cat is not looking directly at the lens.

There is one thing that I, er... hesitate to mention. Mainly because I am in no way an expert in such matters and I don't want to cause any distress. But I see no easy way to say this.

I would have thought that yellow eyes is unusual. It may be that Himalayan cats are different and I must admit that Googling images of Himalayan cats does display a couple of cats with yellow eyes. So please take my words with a large pinch of salt.

However I know that looking into eyes is a good way of looking at the general health of the body of the owner, (of the eyes), whether it be human or animal. So, is this a time when a general health check of your cat might be a good idea?

As I say, I don't intend to cause distress, and hopefully I am way of the track here.

Sorry.

Mark

- Collapse -
This might help...
- Collapse -
OK if you have a Tilt and Swivel Flash

This is more of a problem with modern cameras that have 'built in' flash.

- Collapse -
try a little prevention

I also have a Dimage Z10(and love it) and several photogenic cats. I have good luck by turning as many lights on as possible and try taking without a flash, my Z10 will usually take a good picture especially if its daytime, or use the red-eye setting, its the one when you go through the flash settings that says 'slow'. Both ways mean holding the camera very still, but at least I don't have demon-eyed cats.

Good luck
Janet

- Collapse -
Paint Shop Pro

You almost have the solution right in front of you and don't know it. You have Paint Shop Pro 8, I have version X (10). Mine has animal eye correction, so yours might, too. My HELP says:

? Auto Human Eye ? automatically selects the correction area and chooses settings appropriate to a human eye

? Auto Animal Eye ? automatically selects the correction area and chooses settings appropriate to an animal eye; lets you rotate the selection

? Freehand Pupil Outline ? lets you select the correction area on human or animal eyes using the Freehand Selection tool

? Point-to-Point Pupil Outline ? lets you use the Point-to-Point Selection tool to select the correction area on human or animal eyes

It also allows you to Change the color of human or animal eyes: Choose the Auto Human Eye or the Auto Animal Eye option, and select an iris color from the Hue drop-list.
If version 8 doesn't have this, cameras with red-eye reduction mode work on animals. They flicker a bright light before taking the picture. This causes your subjects' pupils to close.

CNET Forums

Forum Info