Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

not recogniizing external dvd recorder

by bobg / November 6, 2008 11:41 PM PST

have a sony drx-830u external dvd recorder. when i go into my comp., it shows it as my f drive. when i try 2 open it, it says f is not accesable, incorrect funtion. when i hit properties + have a blank dvd in drive it says it,s full???? when i go into device manager it says it,s working properly. appreciate any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: not recogniizing external dvd recorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: not recogniizing external dvd recorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So far, so good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2008 12:10 AM PST

Since XP doesn't natively write to DVD a new blank DVD+R or DVD-R (blank media) should show just as you wrote.

What software are you trying to use to record and support your new drive?

Collapse -
not recognizing f drive
by bobg / November 7, 2008 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: So far, so good.

in answer 2 your question. I,m using nero showtime essentials. I should state that everything works fine when playing a dvd. Just having problems when trying 2 record = will not recognize F drive. I downloaded video from my digital video camera 2 the hd + thats as far as i got.

Collapse -
Next up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2008 12:11 AM PST

Nero only supports 99% of the drives out there. And you didn't reveal EXACTLY what version of Nero you have. If it came bundled with the PC then we are still at the point of having to find new software.

As it stands nothing is terrible wrong but very few people will explain this to owners.
Bob

Collapse -
no f drive
by bobg / November 8, 2008 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Next up.

the version of nero. says sony software disc Rev.7.15w

Collapse -
You didn't tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2008 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: no f drive

If that was what was bundled with the drive but let's say it was.

" when i go into my comp., it shows it as my f drive. when i try 2 open it, it says f is not accesable, incorrect funtion. when i hit properties + have a blank dvd in drive it says it,s full???"

Let's get this cleared up. That is EXACTLY what should happen. If you open up Nero to record to your drive then it may work. Integration with "My Computer" or "Explorer" is optional and the messages you reported are exactly what should happen.
Bob

Collapse -
f drive
by bobg / November 8, 2008 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: You didn't tell.

sorry for all the hastle. finally got it 2 recognize f drive. went in2 prop, recording tab+enabled. Now when i try 2 drag + drop i get this, windows encountered a problem when trying 2 copy this file. i,m still getting disk is full when going in2 fdrive properties? I,m using tdk dvd+r. getting somewhere i guess, just not far enough! sure am learning some things

Collapse -
Which is exactly where you find out...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2008 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: f drive

That drag and drop never is reliable enough to be trusted.

-> Why not run Nero and create a CD or DVD with that? It's much more reliable and you end up with CD/DVDs that work with other machines.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!