Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Not really an XP problem but ZA question

by jayfin / April 9, 2006 10:39 AM PDT

I am using ZA 2006 pro and I find that I frequently get the following kind of message: "The firewall has blocked network acess to your computer [NetBIOS Session] from 192.168.1.101 [TCP Port 1040][TCP Flags:S]. Today just for fun I coppied down the various Ports that came with this message: 1075, 1082, 1089, 1045, 1049, 1050, 1051, 1051, 1052, 1073, 1079, 1086, 1087. All of this came about within an hour or so. Just what is the significance of this? I didn't realize that I had so many ports. And why are they trying to be accessed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not really an XP problem but ZA question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not really an XP problem but ZA question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Test it
by tomron / April 9, 2006 11:00 AM PDT

Heres a LINK that will test your firewall

Tom

Collapse -
Network Ports
by billzhills / April 10, 2006 12:49 AM PDT

Jayfin

Their is 65,000+ ports the computer can use. (Port Numbers) The traffic is a mix of normal Internet traffic or port scanners attempting to find open ports. This alert feature can be turned off. I've use ZA free for 5 years and have never been broken into.

Another site for firewall testing and articles on security.

This link for finding who the Ip address are from and other information.

Collapse -
Bill
by tomron / April 10, 2006 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Network Ports

You provide some good links,but you said Another site for firewall testing and articles on security.That is the same link i provided.

Tom

Collapse -
Jayfin, Are There Other Computers On Your Home Network?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2006 8:29 AM PDT

The IP address you have listed appears to be an internal address from someone "inside" your network and not "outside" the router. It also could be the router itself although generally, the router would have a number more like: 192.168.1.1

If you check the IP addresses of the other computers and find one to have the xxxx101 address, then you can rest assured the culprit is one of the other computers trying to share files.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!