Computer Help forum

General discussion

not reading all RAM

by durp / October 16, 2004 12:00 AM PDT

I have an asus p3b-f board with 4 sticks installed.
0 -pc133 256mb
1 -pc100 128mb
2 -pc100 128mb
3 -pc100 64mb
According to bios it adds up to 448mb?? It only reads the 256 as 128mb.
Is this normal? The specs say it will take a gig of ram.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: not reading all RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: not reading all RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: not reading all RAM
by gunnut666 / October 16, 2004 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: not reading all RAM

Reread your mobo manual. You may find that although you have 4 dimm slots, only 3 can be used.

Collapse -
BX Chipsets read most 256 sticks as 128.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

Documented widely. And there is no fix... You must use the doublesided 256 sticks of ram...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: BX Chipsets read most 256 sticks as 128.
by durp / October 20, 2004 7:48 PM PDT

Okay Bob,
What is doublesided ram ? How do you know if you have it? Is there any negative to keeping what I have in the board now?

Thanks
BOb

Collapse -
by Willy / October 20, 2004 11:55 PM PDT

double sided ram = physical ram chips on both sides of the ram module

No negative impact other than you lose use of one side
of ram available. Sad -----Willy

Collapse -
by durp / October 21, 2004 8:18 PM PDT

The stick is flat on one side the chips are on the other.. but all of the sdram chips I've encountered have this same characteristic.
Bob

Collapse -
by Willy / October 21, 2004 10:11 PM PDT

Check your manual or one supplied by the mtrbd. support website. Verify under the ram mapping, what can be installed. You'll see colums or ram configuartions showing how the ram can be installed. Older systems didn't accept above 256mb per slot or such ram modules were needed to placed in certain slots. As Robert mentioned, BX chipsets had a known problem, but it seems maybe not in your case, do you know if you have BX chipset? On top of all that some fully populated ram slots will cause some conflict as well even though the manual says it can be done. Only after a bios update did a correction allow all ram slots to be used. Plus, you did mix PC133 and PC100 which can cause problems as well, so adding it all up maybe the full combo of possible problem(s) gets resolute in just the one, only 128 of 256 gets recongized, at least it works. Then there's the different vendors ram modules which can be a problem when the system is too picky. Many mtrbd. websites show what vendors have been tested to proved they work well with their products.

gawd, alot of stuff, sorry but it happens...

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
No!
by AussiePete / October 21, 2004 2:27 AM PDT

take all sticks out except for the 256MB stick - then try it in different slots if yout montherboard allows it and see what happens. Is the 256 stick double sided? - sounds as though it maybe stuffed - also try it in a different machine - dont think it would be because it was the wrong type as it just wouldn't read it at all (i think???)- Also clean the contact points ( a soft pencil rubber is good thing to use)
Peter

Collapse -
Re: No!
by durp / October 21, 2004 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: No!

Hey Pete,
Tried different slots...no change
cleaned all contacts including mobo
don't know if double sided because I don't know what that is.
Cannot try in another pc ... don't have another one that uses sdram (one with ddr and a laptop).
I have no clue what you mean by "stuffed"
It also turns out upon further investigation that it is pc133 not pc100... the other 3 sticks are pc 100,don't know if that matters.

Thanks
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!