General discussion

not installing updates

I work with 8 identical PCs at work and at home, they all have same Win XP Pro (bulk license), 6 update automatically, 2 have never been updated.
This 2 un-updated, still work fast, (as if windows was freshlly installed) the other 6, keep getting slower, & sluggish. In 4 of them Windows was reinstalled 2 and 3 times; and the remaining 2 became ultra-slow.
Software and use is the same on all of them.(office work) No additional software downloaded or installed in any.
Should I forget about the "risks" of not updating and reinstall and use the no update option???

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: not installing updates
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: not installing updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Depends

Those two that are not updated, are they connected to the internet? Are they connected to a home network with other internet capable computers? Do users insert CD's or connect external media where infected files may be present?

If the answer to 'all of those' is No, then no need to update. if they are completely isolated from possible infection sources, then there is no need to update them.

If the answer to any is yes, allow Windows to be updated on each.

Mark

- Collapse -
What about speed?

Thanks for your answer Mark.
All of them are connected to a soho network and are internet capable, only difference among those 2 and the rest is the auto update enable/disable option.
I had no security or virus/malware related issue yet. (4 years - in all Cool
Its a pleasure to work in those unupdated ones, just like out of the box !!!
So how real, or how dangerous is REALLY the security risk ???

- Collapse -
It's always a matter of chance

No one can really say how much of a risk there is, but if you head over to our Spyware, viruses and security forum you will see plenty of posts where users either have no security utilities installed and have become infected, or have the basic, (firewall and anti-virus only), and they have been infected as well.

The damage such malware can do is distressing.

I have a firewall, an anti-virus, fully updated, and a couple of anti-malware utility scanners installed and a couple of weeks ago I visited a web site testing a link given in a post in these forums, and my anti-virus immediately popped up with a trojan alert. My first attempted infection after 3 years or so.

If you are using these two systems as test beds or guinea pig systems, make sure they cannot pass on any malware to the other systems in the network.

I'm not always convinced that systems are slowed down by updates and such like, although I do expect to perform house-keeping and maintenance on all my systems. But mine still start up quickly, and still perform well, even after years of updating and security utility installing. Performance degradation can often be tracked back to other issues, like too many Startup files, too many unwanted Services and Processes running.

There is one thing in your favor. XP is now elderly and has been replaced by newer versions, Vista and Windows 7. That means that the malware suppliers are shifting their focus to the newer versions as they gain popularity. However XP is still the OS of choice in much of the world, and those viruses, trojans and other malware written specifically for XP with all of it's vulnerabilities are still circulating.

I hope that helps.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info