PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Not formating HD with Windows ME.

by Santa2ya / January 25, 2006 12:30 PM PST

I am trying to format my maxtor 60gb drive with no success. I have done everything I can think of.
The oddest thing is that no matter what I do I cannot get the cpu to restart with the boot disk. I have tried ctrl+alt+del , restart button, shut down then reboot nothing seems to do it. I got 8 - 10 errors on Windows startup when i tried to reinstall Windows ME on the first shot. Decided to format & reinstall after that.
The last drive I formated had 3.1 on it so there was no problem with it.

Any suggestions would be great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not formating HD with Windows ME.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not formating HD with Windows ME.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By bootdisk
by TONI H / January 25, 2006 6:32 PM PST

do you mean a floppy disk or are you trying to boot with the cd itself?

In either case, check the bios 'boot sequence' area to make sure the first device listed is what you want.

If you need a new floppy bootdisk for ME go to http://www.bootdisk.com and get one. Once you download the .exe file, put a clean floppy disk into the drive, click the .exe file and it will create it for you in about ten minutes.

This bootdisk will give you cdrom support as it boots up the computer.

If you use the format command to wipe the drive clean and start over again, use the following at the A: prompt.

FORMAT C:

The old command for W95/98 used to be FORMAT C:/S but the /S switch doesn't work for ME so if you had used it, it might be part of your problem.

TONI

Collapse -
Boot to CD
by CG-TG / January 25, 2006 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: By bootdisk

To add on, when your system first boots, look for the BIOS command. It is probably DEL, F2, or F10. It should show you on the screen. Inside the BIOS, you should be able to change the boot device order. You want the CD-ROM drive above the Primary Hard drive. This way it will seek to boot from the CD-ROM before booting the Hard Drive. You should get a message on the boot of the CD asking if you want to boot from the CD, which will start the Wondows Me installer. You might be better off picking up a copy of Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro though. Windows Me had to be the worst version of Windows ever released. If it is an older system, I would see if you could get a full version of Windows XP Pro. Don't use the quick format either. Use the full format, and use NTFS file system if you upgrade to W2K Pro. It is way better than FAT32.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!