Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

Not finding program to open some downloads

by tallbob2 / October 19, 2011 9:34 PM PDT

When i tried downloading some software, i get a dialogue box that wants to find a program to open it? instead of just run?? That's a first. It also gives me the option to save to my computer, but it wont open that way either. Can anyone explain why I'm getting this all of a sudden. Never had this problem before. I'm running IE8 on windows XP -Here are 3 programs that I tried to download: freeRAM XP pro, Advanced System Protector, and Auslogics Defragmenter. See if you get the same problem to see if its me or a glitch on cnet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not finding program to open some downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not finding program to open some downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: download
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 19, 2011 9:44 PM PDT

What's the filetype (extension) of the file you downloaded?

Even better, tell us the full filename (including extension), what page exactly you downloaded it from and what button or link you clicked to start the actual download.

Kees

Collapse -
re:re:download
by tallbob2 / October 20, 2011 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: download

Guess what? I clicked the "Direct Download Link" button underneath the "Cnet Secure Download Now" button...and it worked, eureka! So i'm back in business, but in case someone wants to look into this, here is the info you requested. I would still like to know why it didn't work the 1st time. Here is one i tried, the extension looks weird?...

1) freeRAM XP> Name:cnet_framxpro_zip.exeisDlm=1
Type: unknown file type

And here is the link. again, I clicked "cnet secure download now" button...

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=freeram&platformSelect=Windows&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows

The other 2 i mentioned have the same location and extension as above...

2) Auslogics Disk Defrag...http://download.cnet.com/3001-2094_4-10567503.html?spi=56cd419187f0b78a2665a2f65ed476b8

3)Advanced System Protector (personal edition)...http://download.cnet.com/3001-8022_4-10904375.html?spi=9a6a9eae917ec19347dfc4fe554fa39d

Collapse -
Re: download
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: re:re:download

Clicking that direct link is what I would have advised you after you had told that details. But it's very good you found that yourself.

The filename is strange indeed, it should be "net_framxpro_zip.exe" without the "isDlm=1" concatenated to the "exe". Indeed ".exeisDlm=1" is an invalid extension!

Later today I'll have a look at where that strange extension comes from.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: links
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: download

With me, the bottom 2 links brought up the standard download box ("(what do you want to do with this file")of Firefox display a filename that ends on .exe. So nothing seems wrong here. What does it show with you?

Kees

Collapse -
re:re:links
by tallbob2 / October 21, 2011 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: links

for all 3, i get a box that reads "Do you want to save this file, or find a program online to open it?" with three buttons to choose from: find,save or cancel. This is logical since the extension is messed up. The question is, why is the extension getting messed up, right? I mean, is it caused from my end or yours (cnet)? It's gotta be yours, right, because you store the program and I'm just calling it to my screen to be downloaded? And since you said it works with firefox, then it must be an IE8 specific issue. Hmmm, that's how i see it, but i'm just a novice. Let me know if you figure it out...

Collapse -
re: Not finding program to open some downloads
by CNET_Gregg-23902024539272 / October 21, 2011 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: re:re:links

Hello Download.com users,

Thank you all for reporting this issue.

We are actively working to get it resolved, and should have a solution in place soon.

We thank you for your patience while we work on it. This thread will be updated once a solution is in place.

Regards,
Gregg
CNET Download.com Support

Collapse -
download issues
by CNET_Gregg-23902024539272 / October 21, 2011 8:05 AM PDT

Hello all,

This issue has been resolved and downloads should now be back to normal.

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,
Gregg
CNET Download.com Support

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!