Computer Help forum

General discussion

Not Enough System Resources to Complete this Operation

by EmanJR / July 20, 2006 11:46 PM PDT

Here is my Problem.

I Have to give a little bit of history because this has happened with my old computer as well.

In the Past i had a AMD Chip that was only 1.3GHZ it was not a 64 or a X2 chip it was just an amd Chip, with 512 MB Ram, 40 Gig Hard Drive, With more than 50% Free Space on it, and An External CD-RW/DVD Player. I had a PSC 1610 HP Printer, and I went to go scan a Photo at 2400 DPI, and at that resolution it came back with the Message "Not Enough System Resources to Complete this Operation" Which i accepted that Answer because i only had 68% of System Resources Available.

Now i have an ACER ASPIRE E360 with a 2.0GHZ X2 Dual Core Processor, 3GB Ram, 250 GB Hard Drive with over 85% Free space, DUAL LAYER DVD/R/RW-/+ Drive, + DVD Player, and I went to go do the Same Function SCAN at 2400 DPI and it came up with the Exact Same Results, Even though the Scanner's Max Resolution is well over 4800 DPI. Help me out here, My Computer Knowledge is Probably in the Intermediate to Low Advanced Knowledge. I appreciate any help that anyone can provide me. Protonic has not helped at all, one other place has completley ignored my question. So lets see what can happen here. Thanks in advance Everyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not Enough System Resources to Complete this Operation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not Enough System Resources to Complete this Operation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
JR, Have You Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 21, 2006 3:23 AM PDT

...following the instructions that HP provides for that issue? See the link below. (It would be nice to know the operating system though.. I'm guessing the old computer was Win98/ME and the new one is XP but it's not clear.) If XP, have you installed all Service Packs and updates?:

HP Scanjet - Resolving Slow or Halting Scanning, 'Not Enough Disk Space', or 'Not Enough Memory' Error Messages

Suggestions include changing the Virtual Memory settings, deleting ALL files from the "Temporary Internet Files" and "Temp" folders, using a USB connection instead of Parallel if that's what's being used, and reduce the image resolution..

By the way, I have NEVER needed to scan and item at such a high resolution.. A excellent quality picture can be scanned at 600 DPI which will print out great on an 8" X 10" or 11" X 14" photo paper. Why such a high resolution?.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
In Reply to your Question
by EmanJR / July 21, 2006 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: JR, Have You Tried??

Because some of the Images, I might be printing out to 20x30 Size

Collapse -
What Size Original Are You Starting With??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 23, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

I still think the DPI is too high. If you've got a good, large original to start with, you still shouldn't need 2400 DPI.. If you're truly looking for professional quality photo printouts on poster size paper, you shouldn't be scanning anyway. Get the original picture file.

Does it work at 1200 DPI? Test it and see how well it does on the large paper.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
In Response to What Size Original Are you Starting With
by EmanJR / July 23, 2006 11:24 PM PDT

4x6 is the Size print that i am starting with. @ 1200 DPI i am getting an image still under what my digital Camera can put out, which My Digital Camera can put out a 20x30 Print with out loosing Quality.

Collapse -
So Have You Tried???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 24, 2006 2:22 AM PDT

..the suggestions I made?? Just for kicks, I scanned a 5" X 7" picture here on an HP 5550c SCanjet scanner at 2400 DPI.. My computer is not close to what you have running, (XP PRO, 2.0 GHZ P4, with only 256 MB RAM) but the scan completely correctly. The scan took about 20-25 minutes to finish and the resulting file was 95 MB in size. It sure bogged the machine down but it did finish.

I suggest shutting down all the unnecessary startup programs and services(antivirus, firewalls, and everything else) plus following all the other procedures in the link I provided earlier to clean out Temp files, etc.

And if still won't work right, try a different scanner.. The 1610 All-in-one is only a $100 machine that may not quite be up to commercial standards for scanning which is basically what your trying to do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
system resources problem
by pfbfire / July 22, 2006 12:29 AM PDT

the second reply to this topic hit the mark , your DPI is probally to high. I know that your system is high end but 2400 DPI ! are you trying to replicate the mona lisa ? Just turn down the DPI in the printers settings menu and all should be fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.