General discussion

not enough memory

by nerdyboy1234 / March 26, 2005 1:12 PM PST

i have a old compaq 5009sr
p3 1ghz
128 mb ram
fx5200 video card
60 gb hard drive

before it always froze, went to blue screen of death or said not enough memory and please close some programs. Just today i upped the ram to 256 mb. it still shows not enough memory and freezes and goes to blue screen even though i used optimize memory to clear some ram and it showed i had like 80 mb available. I also tried downloading spyware removal programs. I dl adaware, spybot, and spyware doctor. I deleted all the spyware already. i dont know what else to do. Please give me some suggestions. I do not want to format the hard drive though.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: not enough memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: not enough memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
also
by nerdyboy1234 / March 26, 2005 1:16 PM PST
In reply to: not enough memory

it runs on Win. Me so doesnt really need the amt. of ram required for xp.

Collapse -
good detail to include there
by ozos / March 26, 2005 3:05 PM PST
In reply to: also

um
256MB is just low...

what application is the problem occuring with?

ALSO
WindowsME is like Windows98 First Edition
and is known for having all sorts of stability issues

i'd consider an upgrade to WinXP Home or Win2k

Collapse -
RE
by nerdyboy1234 / March 27, 2005 1:19 AM PST

Well until like 4 months ago it was running fine. Then installed geforce fx5200 gfx card and it satrted having the problems. 1st it had memory conflict but i fixed that then the freezing, blue screen issues. So could it be the gfx card?

Also the video card said min. requirements were 128 mb ram and 250 watt power supply. It met the requirements just barely. So i decided to upp the ram since i do not think its power supply since no blackouts yet.

The only problem i dont like is it freezes and when i run something sometimes it says not enough memory and close some applications. When using the program optimize memory, it said i had like 80mb or ram free. Think theres just something screwy about my computer. I used like virus,spyware, adware removal but dont think they worked.

ALso when running scan disk, it always says theres an error and theres the option to repair, ignore etc. I always click repair but dont think it does at thing. Could this also be linked to the problem?

Collapse -
Just curious.
by Bob__B / March 26, 2005 10:06 PM PST

I'm thinking that 256MB should be enough to run MOST apps.

So just a little test.

Boot the machine to the desktop.
R/C mycomp prop>perf.
What do your resources show?

Go back to the desktop.
R/C a blank area.
prop>settings>adv>click on the tab for your vid card.
What does total memory show?
What does used memory show?

Collapse -
re:
by nerdyboy1234 / March 27, 2005 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Just curious.

my graphics card is 128mb. at my computer>pref my system resources show 31% free

Collapse -
?
by Bob__B / March 27, 2005 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: re:

The resource number I'm looking for is right after you boot or reboot.

Is 31% that number?

Do not open and/or close any progs, do not play with any settings, do not view anything. ie. don't touch.

Boot the machine and get a resource number.

Collapse -
RE:
by nerdyboy1234 / March 27, 2005 6:03 AM PST

when i first turn on computer and dont touch anything it is 27% then when i exit outta unnecesary programs the resources say 49%free. I know the computer has enough ram especially since it ran fine with 128 until recently so 256 shouldve been way enough. I think it has something to do with Win. or virus in the registry or something.

Collapse -
Yikees.
by Bob__B / March 27, 2005 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: RE:
Collapse -
thnx
by nerdyboy1234 / March 27, 2005 8:22 AM PST

thnx i'll try that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.