Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

not enough memeroy

by PatR / October 16, 2004 2:32 AM PDT

I bought a used computer and it has a partioned hard drive.I keep getting the message not enough memory every time i try to do any thing.It runs really,really slow.Is there some way i can undo the partition and put it all on drive c.I do not have the cd to reinstall my xp with.
Thank you
Pat

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: not enough memeroy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: not enough memeroy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: not enough memeroy
by glb613 / October 16, 2004 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: not enough memeroy

You didn't post how much memory you have. Why don't you have the operating system CD?

Collapse -
There is no need to get rid of the
by Ray Harinec / October 16, 2004 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: not enough memeroy

partitions. Simply learn to install things in the D drive. The C drive was probably only intended to be used for the Boot [Operating System]

For almost all programs if you do a custom install you will get the option as to where you want to install the program. Most offer c: Program Files. so make a Program Files folder on the D drive, so then when offered one can simply delete the C and Make it a D.

You can also move the stuff from the C drive that you don't need/want there. XP's Files and transfer Wizard should make it easy and still retain the necessary links to the .dll's etc.

Frequently the Not enough memory is only telling you that your Temp folders are full and the program doesn't have enough space to put its scratch files in while it is doing an install or update. Empty the Temp folders. Programs are supposed to clean their scratch files out but many fail to do it.

Using partitons have a lot of merit if only people would understand how to use them.

Each partition is treated as if it were a separate drive. Thus you can reformat one without affecting the data on the other. Reformat the boot partition and you need to re establish the dll's by reinstalling the application or?? software, but you do not lose any data.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.