Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Not an iPod nor Zune, what should I get.

by Arsin225 / November 1, 2009 12:49 PM PST

Need a minimum of 80gb, using primarily as a music player. Not looking to blow the $200 mark.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not an iPod nor Zune, what should I get.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not an iPod nor Zune, what should I get.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hdd based PMP
by d_adams / November 3, 2009 2:52 AM PST

You'll have to have a hard drive based player, if you want that much storage at that price. Since iPods and Zunes are out, your going to be left with very few options. In fact, I only know of one hard drive based, non iPod/Zune, player. It's called an Archos. Check their website for details. I have one, and I have an iPod, and the iPod is a lot better on battery life and user friendliness. I was not impressed by the Archos, except for the large storage space@relatively low price.

Collapse -
by 1shado1 / November 8, 2009 1:27 PM PST
In reply to: hdd based PMP

Not to mention that the sound quality of the Archos players in general is nothing to write home about, compared to the Zune or even iPods.

Collapse -
Tough criteria
by make_or_break / November 12, 2009 3:31 PM PST

Archos, Apple and Microsoft are the only manufacturers I'm aware of that makes/made portable devices with storage greater than 80GB in the past couple of product years. Even if there were others, these are definitely the Big 3 when it comes to cap room. None really play friendly with a $200 price ceiling, unless bought used or discontinued.

In terms of 80GB+ storage, there were others like the awful Wolverine MVP from around 2005 or 2006 (I recall Target sold those, mostly because the MVP's red case matched the Target logo color) and the DMC(?) 100GB (besides not being sure of the company letters, I don't remember the model number or name) from around 2003/2004 (I think), but these were products that were marginal in quality and obviously weak in their availability and consumer support, and--if I remember right--were pretty expensive in their day.

Just did a Google search; looks like Wolverine's still in business. They have something called the ESP that has a 120GB HD. Also @ 120GB, there's some product line/brand called MemoryKick that makes a device. From here you'll have to Google them to see what those are all about, but I'd bet that these two and any others like them that might exist will have pretty weak support, and you'll be taking a chance on such lesser-known brands. And besides, from what I'm seeing in the retail search results neither of these two are cheap enough to make it under your $200 max.

Did I say tough criteria? Better make it impossible criteria, at least at this time.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?