Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Not able to receive/send messages in Outlook 02

by LV007 / July 29, 2006 10:34 AM PDT

Hi,

I have Outlook 2002 (10.65...)SP3, my files and folders in outlook went blank all of a sudden. I didn't change user but used an anti-spyware program last night to get rid of some spywares and temp. registries. I then had to move the old files(.pst)from the C drive back to my current outlook folder, but when I try to hit ''send/receive'' or send emails, a dialog box came up saying:

THE OPERATION FAILED. AN OBJECT COULD NOT BE FOUND.

Please help. Thanks.

Regards,
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not able to receive/send messages in Outlook 02
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not able to receive/send messages in Outlook 02
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: outlook object not found
by Kees Bakker / July 29, 2006 8:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
system restore not working.....
by LV007 / July 30, 2006 3:59 AM PDT

Hi Kees, thanks for the reply.

I have been trying to fix the problem the whole day yesterday but it didn't work. I have tried to do a system restore, I have tried all the check points for the past 4 days (I installed and used the anti-spyware program - Spy Sweeper on Friday). Everytime at the end I got the same message back saying "cannot restore, no changes have been made". Why? In addition to the anti-spyware program that I used, I also used another program called "ccleaner" during that time to get rid of all the unwanted temporary files and registries when I was cleaning up my spyware popups. The other link that you sent me from 'Microsoft Help & Support' might not be an option for now because this involves creating a new email account, right? My clients won't be able to send me emails all of a sudden then.

I tell you what I have tried. I have tried to delete the whole MS Small Business XP and reinstalled it and it didn't work. BUT when I switched to another user account and tried it and it worked perfectly!! Currently, I am using Outlook Express 6 and its working fine too. I think some of the Outlook files are missing, am I right? I hope you or someone in the forum can help me out before I take my PC to a store to get it fixed. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
David

Collapse -
Re: accounts
by Kees Bakker / July 30, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

If it works in another user account, it shows it's something in YOUR user registry.

What you can try: make a new Windows XP user account for yourself, and use the same data for your email account. That should work. Your customers don't see your Windows user name, do they. You should, of course, transfer all relevant data (say: contents of My Documents) and migrate your Outlook data (export and import). It's not really different from migrating to a new machine, and every business owner should be prepared for that.

But why not try to make a new Outlook profile in your current Windows XP user environment? You can specify the same email account as you do now, of course. You can keep all your XP data, but you'll have to migrate your Outlook data. Worth a try, because it's less work than a totally new XP user.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
fixed!
by LV007 / July 30, 2006 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: accounts

Hi Kees,

I finally fixed it by creating another profile. I just used the same email account. Thanks. What a nightmare I went through this weekend since Thursday when my computer got infected with those spyware pops. One of those programs I used must have deleted my registries associated with Outlook. This wasn't the problem I got. My Power Schemes was wiped out too but is fixed too. But thanks for your suggestion and help. One more question here. Can I export Outlook's contact lists and personal folders to Outlook Express. Thanks.

Regards,
David

Collapse -
Re: from Outlook to Outlook Express
by Kees Bakker / July 30, 2006 4:25 PM PDT
In reply to: fixed!

David,

I don't fully see why you would want to do so, when you fixed Outlook. It's inconvenient to use 2 email-programs at the same time, because the messages are being dispersed in different mailboxes. But I suppose you know what you're doing.

Try File>Import in Outlook Express and see how far you come. If not far enough, post again.

Kees

Collapse -
import form OE
by LV007 / July 31, 2006 12:31 PM PDT

Kees,

When I hit File<Import in OE, not much showing. I do use Outlook Express sometimes especially when I send picture files. My service provider doesn't support Outlook, they only support OE, but if its a big procedure, forget about it, I can live without it.

I just noticed that my Outlook version is 2002(10.26...)while before I reinstalled the Outlook from my disc, it was version 2002(10.65.....)SP3. Does this matter? Also, do you recommend me to upgrade to Outlook 2003? Thanks.

Regards,
David

Collapse -
Re: Outlook questions
by Kees Bakker / July 31, 2006 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: import form OE

1. If I use File>Import in Outlook Express, I can choose from Address Book and Messages (= mails). Address book won't offer the Outlook version to import from, but messages let you choose an Outlook profile to import from.

2. I would advice to update to Service Pack 3 (SP3) of your current Outlook XP. It's a security update and bug fixing. Go to office.microsoft.com, choose download and then 'check for updates'. No need at all to go to Office 2003 as long as you're happy with what you have.

Kees

Collapse -
done!
by LV007 / August 1, 2006 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Outlook questions

Kees, I upgraded to the SP3. Thanks.

David

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome.
by Kees Bakker / August 1, 2006 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: done!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?