General discussion

not able to partition my main drive

I tried to partition my c drive (containing os) by using disk management. after shrinking the drive, when I try to create a new volume from the unallocated space I get the following message:

"Dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system"

I am using genuine windows 7 home basic. i3 processor 370m, ddr3 3gb ram, and trying to partition my 220gb c drive

Please tell me the difference between "basic drive" and "dynamic drive" also.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: not able to partition my main drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: not able to partition my main drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I don't know about basic and dynamic, but...

I am going to guess you cannot perform this operation because your operating system is part of this harddrive. Normally this is done in DOS mode. Maybe just get another harddrive; they are so inexpensive now-a-day.

- Collapse -
yes

You are right that the drive containing the OS might be the problem. But I don't want to buy a new hard drive because the C drive of my laptop is 220GB which is enough for me, if I get it partitioned somehow.

- Collapse -
Have you checked forums for discussion of the subject ?
- Collapse -
Yes

I checked the forum as well as M/S help but I am still not satisfied.

- Collapse -
The question asked

'Please tell me the difference between "basic drive" and "dynamic drive" also.' was answered by reference and or specific link. And as Ed suggested since dynamic disk is not supported (I don't use them myself) the course of action is to go with 'basic disk'.

Personally I (almost) always create two partitions on drive '0' because I want the separation for backup and image restore if that should become necessary. The separation allows me to restore my image backup of the OS and APPS on partition 1 ("C:") and never touch my DATA on partition 2 ("D:"). That doesn't eliminate the risk of data loss if the HDD dies but it does simplify and expedite the process of getting up and running if the OS become corrupt or restoring discrete images if I have to replace the HDD.

Let us know how it turns out.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Change it to a basic disk ...
- Collapse -
It is a basic disk

However i don't want to convert from basic to dynamic it gives me the warning that it(unallocated space) will be converted to dynamic if I want to create a new volume. All I want is a separate partition to store data.

CNET Forums

Forum Info