Question

Norton Vs. Avast Free?

Well, Comcast just released Norton version 5 for it's customers. I currently use Avast, and was waiting for Norton 5 to be released for free to upgrade. Should I? Don't worry about high usage of Norton. My computer has 8GB of RAM and Windows 7. Also, Norton has been improving RAM usage since 2006.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Norton Vs. Avast Free?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Norton Vs. Avast Free?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Why Not Try It?

linux..

You have nothing to lose by trying it. If you don't like it, or find problems with it, you can always remove it. After all, you did say you were anticipating its release.

You might want to try to find out in advance, if there are any known conflicts (or compatibility issues) which accompany it. It might mean uninstalling a program, you wish to keep. Otherwise, I see no harm in trying it.

Just my thoughts and ¢ ¢
Carol

- Collapse -
Added Info..

When looking for new software, I like to do my homework first. Part of that homework includes, going to the "official" forum, to see if users are experiencing an inordinate amount of problems. If you should so decide......

Link to Comcast's Forum, where Norton would be (and is) discussed:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/bd-p/13

Norton Community Forum

"The Norton Users Discussion Forum"
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Users-Discussion-Forum/ct-p/nis

Best of luck with whatever you should decide..
Carol

- Collapse -

Ok I guess.... I like Avast's interface but Norton V5 one looks... OUTTA THIS WORLD! I guess I shall do as you say.

- Collapse -
I tried it

I downloaded the free comcast norton 5 and have no problems with it. I did have the comcast norton 4 with no problems either. I said I would never use Norton again a few years ago but have no problem with these two. I am no longer a norton basher as I think they have made improvements. I have XP with 2 gig ram and have a window 7 with 4 gig ram.

- Collapse -
Does it still break System Restore?

I lost count of the number of folk that reformatted a PC because of that.

Yes, there's an off switch but can you find it without a web search?
Bob

- Collapse -
help bob

what do you mean breaking system restore and off switch. I haven't had to use system restore for awhile but when I did there wasn't a problem. It was a couple of months ago with the laptop with windows 7. Now I am nervous if that would be a problem.

- Collapse -
That's good to read.

I wonder if Symantac finally got the memo (message) that this was unacceptable. You can use google and the word NORTON and phrase SYSTEM RESTORE to read about this issue.

I'd like to hear from Symantac they fixed it.
Bob

CNET Forums