Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Norton Vs. Avast Free?

by x731-23946497174804271752963632345823 / May 18, 2011 6:47 AM PDT

Well, Comcast just released Norton version 5 for it's customers. I currently use Avast, and was waiting for Norton 5 to be released for free to upgrade. Should I? Don't worry about high usage of Norton. My computer has 8GB of RAM and Windows 7. Also, Norton has been improving RAM usage since 2006.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Vs. Avast Free?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Vs. Avast Free?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why Not Try It?
by Carol~ Moderator / May 18, 2011 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton Vs. Avast Free?

linux..

You have nothing to lose by trying it. If you don't like it, or find problems with it, you can always remove it. After all, you did say you were anticipating its release.

You might want to try to find out in advance, if there are any known conflicts (or compatibility issues) which accompany it. It might mean uninstalling a program, you wish to keep. Otherwise, I see no harm in trying it.

Just my thoughts and ¢ ¢
Carol

Collapse -
Added Info..
by Carol~ Moderator / May 18, 2011 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Why Not Try It?

When looking for new software, I like to do my homework first. Part of that homework includes, going to the "official" forum, to see if users are experiencing an inordinate amount of problems. If you should so decide......

Link to Comcast's Forum, where Norton would be (and is) discussed:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/bd-p/13

Norton Community Forum

"The Norton Users Discussion Forum"
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Users-Discussion-Forum/ct-p/nis

Best of luck with whatever you should decide..
Carol

Collapse -
by x731-23946497174804271752963632345823 / May 18, 2011 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Added Info..

Ok I guess.... I like Avast's interface but Norton V5 one looks... OUTTA THIS WORLD! I guess I shall do as you say.

Collapse -
I tried it
by shylaugh / May 19, 2011 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

I downloaded the free comcast norton 5 and have no problems with it. I did have the comcast norton 4 with no problems either. I said I would never use Norton again a few years ago but have no problem with these two. I am no longer a norton basher as I think they have made improvements. I have XP with 2 gig ram and have a window 7 with 4 gig ram.

Collapse -
Does it still break System Restore?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2011 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I tried it

I lost count of the number of folk that reformatted a PC because of that.

Yes, there's an off switch but can you find it without a web search?
Bob

Collapse -
help bob
by shylaugh / May 20, 2011 5:01 AM PDT

what do you mean breaking system restore and off switch. I haven't had to use system restore for awhile but when I did there wasn't a problem. It was a couple of months ago with the laptop with windows 7. Now I am nervous if that would be a problem.

Collapse -
That's good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2011 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: help bob

I wonder if Symantac finally got the memo (message) that this was unacceptable. You can use google and the word NORTON and phrase SYSTEM RESTORE to read about this issue.

I'd like to hear from Symantac they fixed it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?